Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)/Scratching Wallpaper

Hi, I have 5 cats and a problem with the youngest Lily,age 2.5. We keep the back door open till late but when we close it Lily persists in scratching wallpaper by front door (to tell us she wants to go out) We need to re-paper and I need to know asap how i can stop her doing this with the new wallpaper

I'm not going to lie, but it's going to be difficult as she is used to and prefers the idea of being to go out when she wants to. How long have you had her and have you always been dealing with this or is it a sudden issue?

There are things you can try to deter her from scratching including using a bitter spray to spray on the wallpaper or having a spray bottle on hand to use when you catch her. I would encourage the use of distractive toys or anything noisy to give her something else to do to keep her mind of the urge to scratch the area. You can always find some to put in front of the area that will prevent her from coming into contact with the wallpaper.  

Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)

Melissa Burg, RVT/Behavior Consultant

I have experience dealing with different cat behavior signs, including separation anxiety, possible aggression and the difference between fear aggression and actual aggression, this would include possible feral cats. I also am familiar with the several different approaches to introducing a new cat to the environment as well as how each cat or cat and dog and live comfortable and dealing with litter box issues and help you decide if the problem is medical or behavioral.

My experience began with my own cats and escalated while working with area animal shelters for the past 10 years. I was able to watch and learn how the cats would react to different stimulus and each other. My experience grew during college and became able to distinguish between medical and behavior issues.

"Pawfect Pets," a weekly column in my local newspaper with pet health and behavior and training tips.

I graduated with an Associate's in Veterinary Technology in 2009 and became RVT in the state of Iowa in 2012 with a focus on Behavior.