Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)/adopted 4 year old cat... wont poop in litter box

Just apopted a 4 year old cat 3 months ago.  Originally i used my old cats box for him with new litter but he refused to use it.  So i got him a new one.  He will pee in it, but not poop.  If he pees in it twice, the third time is on the floor.  Thought maybe box is too small since he is a very large cat.  I put him on a stricter feeding schedule.. poops on the floor still.  Same room different spots.  Im cleaning the litter twice a day to keep him from peeing on the floor.  Seems happy?  Thought about automatic liiter box or huge litter box.

When a cats defecates on the floor, it typically is behavioral. The other reason is medical if the stool is VERY hard, indicating constipation. Have you tried placing a litter box in other areas as well as trying different litters? How often is the litter changed? as that can also be an issue. Some cats also like to have one for urinating and a second for defecating. But I would look into different locations and placing more than one around and see which location/box/litter he prefers.  

Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)

Melissa Burg, RVT/Behavior Consultant

I have experience dealing with different cat behavior signs, including separation anxiety, possible aggression and the difference between fear aggression and actual aggression, this would include possible feral cats. I also am familiar with the several different approaches to introducing a new cat to the environment as well as how each cat or cat and dog and live comfortable and dealing with litter box issues and help you decide if the problem is medical or behavioral.

My experience began with my own cats and escalated while working with area animal shelters for the past 10 years. I was able to watch and learn how the cats would react to different stimulus and each other. My experience grew during college and became able to distinguish between medical and behavior issues.

"Pawfect Pets," a weekly column in my local newspaper with pet health and behavior and training tips.

I graduated with an Associate's in Veterinary Technology in 2009 and became RVT in the state of Iowa in 2012 with a focus on Behavior.