Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)/Help.

me and my partner got a.kitten a few weeks ago but the people we got him from lied about his age. they said 8 weeks and then said the day he was born which would of made him 4 weeks 4 days when we got him. he has just started biting my ears and it really hurts. no matter what i do or even if i take him to another room he comes back. we have another 3 year old girl cat & they get along okay.. shes warming up to him. but what do i do to stop him chewing/sucking on my  ears? he also will sniff your nose then try squeeze his head up your nose..

Kittens act like this when they get taken away from the mother too early, I'm sure you've realized. What he is doing is basically replacing you as his mother. The way to help him figure out how to change is to re-train his brain by giving him a toy by means of redirecting his attention away from what he is doing.  

Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)

Melissa Burg, RVT/Behavior Consultant

I have experience dealing with different cat behavior signs, including separation anxiety, possible aggression and the difference between fear aggression and actual aggression, this would include possible feral cats. I also am familiar with the several different approaches to introducing a new cat to the environment as well as how each cat or cat and dog and live comfortable and dealing with litter box issues and help you decide if the problem is medical or behavioral.

My experience began with my own cats and escalated while working with area animal shelters for the past 10 years. I was able to watch and learn how the cats would react to different stimulus and each other. My experience grew during college and became able to distinguish between medical and behavior issues.

"Pawfect Pets," a weekly column in my local newspaper with pet health and behavior and training tips.

I graduated with an Associate's in Veterinary Technology in 2009 and became RVT in the state of Iowa in 2012 with a focus on Behavior.