Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)/cat vests

I have a female cat. She used to be an in door out door kitty for over 10 years. We moved to an apartment and she has adjusted wonderfully. I would like to, slowly, introduce her to a walking harness or vest. What would be the safest and most gentle for her to try?
Thank you, Barbara and PussPuss.

Hi, Barbara. It actually does not really matter what kind you use but if you would like her to wear it often, then look for the ones that are cushioned. If this is a first for her, I would recommend just having it on her in the house just to get used to the feel of it, then add the leash again just in the house to get the feel of it. Any other questions or thoughts, let me know. Thanks

Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)

Melissa Burg, RVT/Behavior Consultant

I have experience dealing with different cat behavior signs, including separation anxiety, possible aggression and the difference between fear aggression and actual aggression, this would include possible feral cats. I also am familiar with the several different approaches to introducing a new cat to the environment as well as how each cat or cat and dog and live comfortable and dealing with litter box issues and help you decide if the problem is medical or behavioral.

My experience began with my own cats and escalated while working with area animal shelters for the past 10 years. I was able to watch and learn how the cats would react to different stimulus and each other. My experience grew during college and became able to distinguish between medical and behavior issues.

"Pawfect Pets," a weekly column in my local newspaper with pet health and behavior and training tips.

I graduated with an Associate's in Veterinary Technology in 2009 and became RVT in the state of Iowa in 2012 with a focus on Behavior.