Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)/new kitten and older cat

I've had my cat Misha for approximately 3 years and a couple of months ago i adopted a new kitten (Teddy) to keep her company when i start medical school. He is approximately 3-4 months now and is still intact. They get along alright, can eat next to each other and sometimes sleep next to each other. However, whenever Teddy sees me giving attention to Misha he runs at her and "attacks" her, in a playful way but it annoys her to the point that she hisses and leaves my lap or the bed or wherever she was snuggled up. This happens pretty much anytime he sees her out and about around the house which results in her spending a large amount of time in her bed on the window sill.
I have tried saying no and squirting him with a water bottle whenever he tried to jump on her but so far it doesn't seem to phase him. I will be neutering him within a week or so, do you think that his behavior is related to territorial issues which may be resolved with neutering?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Hi, Natalia.  Neutering may or may not help. Once behaviors start, it's typically too late. I don't think it's actually being territorial more than simply being jealous. Since they eat next to each other, that's the biggest step to get to. They do do that, so that's what leads me away from territory issues. You basically need to let him know things don't go his way and it's okay for your other cat to have attention too. What I've done with my cats is simply place the jealous cat in another area where a door can be closed or just away from you or the other cat and bring my other cat out. If the jealous one tries to get the other cat on you, hold into that cat and push him away or toss a loud you across the room as a distraction.

Touch base with this and let me know how things go.  

Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)

Melissa Burg, RVT/Behavior Consultant

I have experience dealing with different cat behavior signs, including separation anxiety, possible aggression and the difference between fear aggression and actual aggression, this would include possible feral cats. I also am familiar with the several different approaches to introducing a new cat to the environment as well as how each cat or cat and dog and live comfortable and dealing with litter box issues and help you decide if the problem is medical or behavioral.

My experience began with my own cats and escalated while working with area animal shelters for the past 10 years. I was able to watch and learn how the cats would react to different stimulus and each other. My experience grew during college and became able to distinguish between medical and behavior issues.

"Pawfect Pets," a weekly column in my local newspaper with pet health and behavior and training tips.

I graduated with an Associate's in Veterinary Technology in 2009 and became RVT in the state of Iowa in 2012 with a focus on Behavior.