Catholics/Church council 890 ad

Question
QUESTION: Please could you tell me how to read the content of a church council in 890 which decreed that man was body and spirit. Thank you. Mary

ANSWER: Hi, Mary...

Sorry I don't completely understand your question as stated.
Do you mean:
1. You wish me to show you a link or something how to find a Church Council Document from the year 890 A.D.?
2. You have a specific sentence from that Council you wish me to comment on?
Thanks.

I tried looking up something about a Church Council taking place in 890 A.D. and did not actually come across anything with a simple google search.

Fr. Timothy Johnson

QUESTION: Hello Fr Tim

Thanks for such a quick response.  Let me explain further.  

I am a psychotherapist doing work on the place of SOUL in healing. I am doing some research in the place of the religious Soul ( Soul being saved etc) and the quality of soulfulness which people within and outside a church setting recognise.   I am tracing the history of soul in the church and read in a book that at a Church Council in 890AD it was ruled that man was made up of Body and Spirit.  Soul was left out and the idea is that at this point the church left out an aspect of the human make up. I am simply trying to find this to read it for myself because there is not ref, other than the date, in my source.  Thank you for your help with this.  Mary

Answer
The Church has always taught and continues to teach that there is both a material and an immaterial component of human nature... body and soul, or body and spirit.
No need to look up ancient councils.  Here are some quotes directly from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1994:

362 The human person, created in the image of God, is a being at once corporeal and spiritual. The biblical account expresses this reality in symbolic language when it affirms that "then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being."229 Man, whole and entire, is therefore willed by God.

363 In Sacred Scripture the term "soul" often refers to human life or the entire human person.230 But "soul" also refers to the innermost aspect of man, that which is of greatest value in him,231 that by which he is most especially in God's image: "soul" signifies the spiritual principle in man.

364 The human body shares in the dignity of "the image of God": it is a human body precisely because it is animated by a spiritual soul, and it is the whole human person that is intended to become, in the body of Christ, a temple of the Spirit:232

365 The unity of soul and body is so profound that one has to consider the soul to be the "form" of the body:234 i.e., it is because of its spiritual soul that the body made of matter becomes a living, human body; spirit and matter, in man, are not two natures united, but rather their union forms a single nature.

366 The Church teaches that every spiritual soul is created immediately by God - it is not "produced" by the parents - and also that it is immortal: it does not perish when it separates from the body at death, and it will be reunited with the body at the final Resurrection.235

367 Sometimes the soul is distinguished from the spirit: St. Paul for instance prays that God may sanctify his people "wholly", with "spirit and soul and body" kept sound and blameless at the Lord's coming.236 The Church teaches that this distinction does not introduce a duality into the soul.237 "Spirit" signifies that from creation man is ordered to a supernatural end and that his soul can gratuitously be raised beyond all it deserves to communion with God.238

Fr. Timothy Johnson

Catholics

Awaiting Account Deactivation/Deletion