Catholics/Marrying a man who has annulment

Question
Dear Br, I met a divorced Orthodox man who went to get an annulment for me. When it started I gave in to physical affections and dated him but I felt it was a mortal sin. Now I see him occasionally and talk often but I still feel that my love for him is still putting something between myself and Christ.
The other thing I'm worried about is what I need to prepare myself for if we marry. What advice can you give and if I marry him am I causing scandal because it seems just like living like other divorced people having mixed families and causing the children to suffer. His children are adults now but I feel marriage is so sacred I want to respect it at every side.
How does one prepare for this spiritually?
How do I answer my staunchly Catholic family?
I love the Church as much as they.
Thanks very much and God bless

Answer
Peace

dear Monique
    If the Catholic Church granted him a decree of Annulment, then you are free to marry him. If your family says differently, they are out of line. Its for the bishop of the diocese or those he appoints to make such decisions.
    I am not married but I will pass on some suggestions I have been given. Since he is Orthodox, I suggest reading up on the different rites within the Catholic Church, especially the one that his type of Orthodox mirrors. Vatican II and Blessed John Paul II wrote beautiful documents on those rites in union with Rome and those that are not.
   Another suggestion is these two books:
        Love: Fruitful and Responsible by Blessed John Paul II
        Three to Get Married          by Fulton J Sheen

Other suggestions:
        Pray regularly about the relationship, that it may remain according to God's holy Will. Also talk to family members who object to the relationship and try to see why the do. Maybe ask him to attend some-like RCIA so he can better understand the ways of the Latin rite or the rite you are a member of, of the Catholic Church.

your servant in Christ
         George

Catholics

George A. Card,sfo, M.I