Catholics/Master action

Question
Hello, I have a question about recieving communion after a certain sin. I've had an urge to masterbate since I was young. I've been doing good, I've even stopped having sex as well. I started to masterbate today and then made myself stop because I dont want to separate myself from Jesus by mortal sin. Can I recieve communion or should I go to confession first? Thank you.

Answer
Miles, if in doubt, go to confession.  Compulsive masturbation is a problem no one wishes to discuss or even acknowledge.  If you feel you are unable to control yourself I recommend two things.  First, find an SAA chapter near you at SAA-recovery.org.  Second, you should continue to receive communion.  If you do not have full consent of the will, as is the case with addiction, including sexual addiction, it isnt a mortal sin.  But I advise you to ask your confessor for advice on this issues as well.

God bless,
Cody

Catholics

Cody Sain