Catholics/Unconsummated Marriage.

Me and my wife are both Roman Catholic.I got married in May 2010.A few months after my marriage I consulted the doctor (Urologist)since I could not consummate the marriage. I used to get Erections and Ejaculations prior to the marriage.But intercourse (penetration )was not achieved since the strength and duration of the erection was not sufficient.I didn't know I had a problem prior to my marriage.It's only after we attempted intercourse and failed repeatedly that I suspected something was wrong. Anyways my Erectile Dysfunction was surgically treatable by a venous ligation surgery. I even went for a followup 11months after the surgery and did a CDDU (special type of doppler scan with a drug - Papavarine injected into the base of the penis.This proved I now have good erectile function and the surgery was a success.Since I did not know and could not have known about my condition prior to marriage (since I've never attempted pre marital sex ) there is no fraud. Also my impotence was surgically correctable and I am OK now. However my wife has asked the Metropolitan Tribunal for annulment since the marriage is unconsummated. I however love her and want to continue the relationship. Will the church give her the annulment based on Canon Law or will it uphold our marriage.To begin with we loved each other. I still love her.We made a promise - In sickness & In Health. I was sicke ie had a congenital Erectile Dysfunction Problem. But now I am well . Please give me your honest and valuable opinion. Thank U and God Bless.

dear Alf,
    From what I understand of related laws/issues, I think the tribunal will validate the marriage. Consummation would make it difficult to grant annulment on such grounds, but remember our Lady and  St. Joseph never consummated theirs either, and they were truly married.
    Be assured of my prayers for you and Mrs. Alf.
         your servant but His first

George A. Card,sfo, M.I

I am willing to attempt to answer any question. If I donít know the answer, I will look-up or pass the question on to friends for feed back. Beside Catholicism (especially the social/moral and the Eastern rites), I am well read on Mormonism and so-called Modern Christian Fundamentalism. Also I study Franciscan History as means of growing in my lay Franciscan calling to holiness in Christ.

25+ years as the Justice and Peace Liaison for my (local)Secular Franciscan Fraternity,22+ years public speaking on the Faith,and/or teaching CCD and Youth Retreats,a former Officer for K of C and my SFO Fraternity,still hold appointed offices in local osf fraternity

Catholic Church, Rome Rite
Secular Fraciscan Order
Knights of Columbus
The Men's Study (A local Catholic study group I co founded)
Militia Immaculata(Knights of the Immaculate

Local News Letters:Mostly my Poetry

2 years of Minor Seminary
Bible and Adult Faith Studies and Seminars