Catholics/condom use in mixed marriage

Question
I am a Roman Catholic female married to a non-catholic male.  Am I committing a sin if I have sex with my husband who wears a condom? If I refuse him sex, because he wants to wear a condom, that doesn't seem right. If I consent to sex with a condom, that doesn't sound like I am following the Church's teachings.  He agreed to be open to children, but not at the present moment. He thinks NFP will be a "crap shoot."  He won't have sex with me without contraception of some kind.  I just want to do what is right in God's eyes and please my husband. I desire him with or without a condom. But I do NOT wish to commit a sin against God.  We are literally at a stand still. Any help you can give me will be grately appreciated! Thank you and God Bless you.

Answer
Natalie,

I can speak from experience that NFP, when followed correctly , is more effective than the pill (and far more effective than a condom, which has a use-failure rate of 15+%).

That said, it would be a sin for him to wear the condom, but potentially morally licit for you to engage in sexual intercourse with him, provided that you are clear that you are morally opposed to the use of them, never condone his use of them, and work to get him to understand your position.  

I'd greatly recommend reading some resources, like JPII's Theology of the Body (or Christopher West's Theology of the Body for Beginners (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934217859/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&cr).

I would also seek the council of your local priest.

-J.M.J.West

Catholics

J.M.J. West