Catholics/dress

Question
QUESTION: Are Priest required to dress in a certain way? Anf why do Priest wear black and a white collar?
And does wearring black help Priest become better Priests?

ANSWER: In the country of America Priests generally wear black clerical shirts with white collars.  Other colors may be worn such as blue, gray or white, but most Catholic priests wear black.  Some bishops mandate the wearing of black for priests of their dioceses because the bishops for whatever reason feel that this helps distinguish priests from Protestant clergy. Protestant clergy often wear black shirts like Catholic priests so wearing black does not automatically identity one as Catholic even in a Protestant area. The wearing of black is often popular among Anglicans and Lutherans, even some Methodists.  Baptists and Presbyterians tend to wear suits.

Catholic Priests traditionally wore a garment called a "Cassock."  A Cassock was a long gown like garment.  As priestly life changed or evolved priests began to wear black clerical shirts as opposed to a Cassock.  Cassocks because of their nature are not always practical for modern priestly ministry.  Clerical shirts are far easier to manage and work in.

The color black is traditional because black in America is the color of death.  The collar is white because in America white is the color symbolizing life.  Black denotes the fact that a priest as died to the world, white denotes the fact that the priest has been given the life of Christ for the sake of "Fathering" God's people.  The collar was round because it denotes a yoke.  A priest is "yoked" to Christ.  It is a slave collar.  Priests are slaves of Christ.

Does wearing black help priests become better priests? Clerics do not make the priest, the priest makes the clerics.  A bad priest will still be a bad priest in clerics.  

However there are some priests that argue clerics are analogous to a wedding ring.  Clerics are a sign and symbol of WHO a priest is: a slave of Christ.  Thus when going out because clerics are so different from the normal dress, it forces a priest to always act and behave as a priest, and also clearly identifies him in case people need his assistance.  

For example: a priest in clerics who is out to dinner with fellow priests might think twice about taking a second drink---realizing that people are probably observing him.  A priest in clerics who is out with friends, or shopping, etc, might mind his speech a little bit, etc, again, realizing that people are observing him because he is representing Christ.  

I take neither extreme myself.  I fall in the middle.  I believe clerics are an important part of the dress of the clergy.  I believe clerics indeed denote who and what a priest is.  At the same time no one wears a uniform 24 hours a day.  When one is not working or doing parish work or ministry, but just relaxing with friends, or having fun, I think it is appropriate to wear "civilian" clothing.  

QUESTION: why would a Priest (unless he is a Premonstratensian)wear white?

Answer
As I said in my original answer: White is the color of life.  Priests have new life in Christ in order to Shepherd their people as Fathers.

However the color White has a practical purpose: it is cooler during the summer months. Some priests may wear white or blue during the summer months due to the heat.  Black absorbs more heat than lighter colors.

Catholics

Father Dave Bechtel