Catholics/Guidance on Bible "Translations"

Greetings and Blessings,

Because of so many web sights, looking for honest information and truthful answers sometimes becomes a dilemma. So by The Word, Hebrews 11:1, by faith I believe I will receive what I need from you.

Iím 64 years old, not Catholic, a christian for 40+ wears, more interested in people seeing church (Christ) in me than me in church. I donít want to offend you or you miss understand me; My first love is Christ, not the denomination. Its not a denomination that sends people out to administer love, its Christ working through us , not the denomination. When I hear of a denomination praising them selves for something they did instead of putting Christ first Ö I have a problem with that.

Just a very small insight of who I am and whom I strive to be.

I have started reading the NJB and the NAB on line for the past few weeks and fine it refreshing. I have read close to 20 translations and I find these two unique and informative.

It will be some time before I will be able to afford a printed copy, (being on a fixed income) and would like to know which Bible is authorized so as to punches the correct one foe the time I may visit a Catholic Church.

I have never been in a Catholic Church and have no Catholic friends (but forthcoming). With that in mind, is their a web sight or brochures you can send me that will help me understand in laymen s terms
or entry level. When I decide to visit a church I donít want to look too awkward. I want to be able to leave the morning worship with some type of dignity.

Crucified with Christ
         Grace Mercy Peace

The first thing that you must be careful of is to be sure that you are going to an actual Catholic Church.  Most of the buildings these days that have the name "Catholic" on them are not Catholic at all, but part of the New Order Church, which has essentially abandoned the Catholic Faith in favor of a New Order, which they seem to make up as they go along.  Fortunately, there is a geographical list of truly Catholic churches available at, together with explanations that you can read about what is going on and recommendations.  You can also consult there in the Library of Files for recommendations on readings to answer the questions you have.

One of the things that the New Order Church has done is to gut the Bible.  It has done this very subtlely by "translating out" the teachings of Christ and "translating in" a fabricated liberalistic social doctrine that Christ did not preach.

You need to be careful about "translations."  It is not really possible to "translate" one language into another.  Something is always "lost in translation."  When the translation is from an ancient language like Hebrew, Greek, or Latin, much more is lost.  At one time an educated person was able to read Latin, and some Greek and Hebrew, but no longer.  Thus, even educated people today are easily misled by fraudulent translations.

If you must rely upon a translation, the most literal is best, as a literal translation does not inject as much error as a "free" translation.  Virtually every modern translation is a "free" translation, full of error.  Certainly the New Jerusalem Bible is.  It is actually a double translation, from Hebrew, Greek, and Latin to French, then from French to English!  Bad as the NJW is, the New American Bible is worse.  This is the version fabricated by the New Order Church, which is trying to sell a liberalistic social doctrine.

Literal versions that you can consult, readily available on line, are the Douay-Rheims version and the Confraternity version.  Even the Revised Standard version and the King James version are pretty literal.

Fr. Michael

A traditional Catholic priest, who provides forthright answers to questions FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF TRADITIONAL CATHOLICISM (not the New Order) on topics pertaining to TRADITIONAL Roman Catholicism, including theology, the Bible, Church history, the Latin language, liturgy (especially the Traditional Latin Mass), and music (especially Gregorian chant), and current events in the Catholic Church.