I would like to start attending mass again. I was raised a catholic and went to catholic school. When I moved and met my wife, she would only attend the United church. She still goes from time to time but that church does not give me the same good vibes as a good old catholic cathedral does. She will not go withme to masses. Is it OK to go alone? Or, can I try to practice my faith at home bt reading more catholic 'stuff'?

Bud, I'm not a priest and am not entirely familiar with the finer points of the rules and regs., but I would think that God would welcome you back to full communion with RCC. Why not just go, and if it feels good, talk to a priest. I feel the same way about other Christian churches. They just don't reach me the same way RCC does. But not everyone feels this way. It's personal, I guess.

Michael Clark, Ph.D.

I'm a progressive Catholic--not a liberal, conservative nor a single-minded critic of Catholicism. I simply believe that adults in the 21C should use the mind God gave them and not just repeat ancient and medieval modes of thinking.

I can probably help with questions that intelligently and respectfully question those aspects of Catholicism that are not infallible. But if you're looking for someone to vigorously defend or perhaps refute Catholicism as a whole, that's not me. So please ask another expert.

I run an educational website and know what the web has to offer. I might suggest hyperlinks and/or book titles as I have a Ph.D. in Religious Studies and a considerable personal library.

Print Media:
My table from "Religions and Cults" at is reproduced with permission in L. Lindsey, S. Beach and B. Ravelli, Core Concepts in Sociology, 2nd ed., p. 157

World Wide Web:
My online article "Letter to God" coauthored with Buddhist monk, E. Raymond Rock, appears on several different spirituality-based websites, including

I've interviewed, as a Christian, a self-proclaimed mystic:

My articles appeared at the former New View magazine and are published at

Ph.D. in Religious Studies
M.A. in Comparative Religion
B.A. Hon. in Psychology/Sociology
For more info, please see my CV and letters of recommendation and my blog at