Catholics/Marital Sex

I have been researching questions of concience prior to initiating a General Confession. One of the questions is "have i used NFP for frivolous reasons". Frivolous reasons i take to mean having sex for pleasure only and not as a means of desiring to procreate. After the birth of our fourth child my wife had a hysterectomy for purely medical reasons not as a means of sterilisation or contraception. We have continued to have a physical sexual relationship but by definition it must have been frivolous as no procreation could have ensued from our unions. Is this a sin?

Sorry Michael I forgot your question was still pending...

The answer to your question is no it is NOT a sin. You have not done something to your body or the body of your wife in order to practice contraception, but to solve a real medical problem. That does not constitute "frivolous."

The Church permits us to seek medical care and to do what is necessary when we have a real medical need.  The overarching purpose of medical care is always to preserve our lives because life is preferable to death.  If you have a medical issue with a reproductive organ, and that organ is no longer capable of reproduction because it has been removed that does not make marital relations sinful.

Father Dave Bechtel

I am a Catholic priest in good standing and in active ministry in the Diocese of Scranton PA. I can answer most any question about the Catholic Faith, however my area of specialization is Systematic Theology. Systematic Theology is a branch of theology that focuses on the fundamental tenants of the Faith and the Dogmas of the Faith. I have specialization on the Reformation and Catholic vs. Protestant theology/issues and answering Protestant challenges to the Faith.

I was ordained in June of 2008. Since that time the thrust of my ministry has been specialized. In my first assignment I was an assistant pastor. A year later I was sent to work in education. I spent six (6) years in education and have now assumed my first pastorate. While education was the thrust of my ministry, nevertheless I continued to have a hand in parish ministry, hospital chaplaincy and prison chaplaincy. Now that I am out of education I will obviously be focusing more on parish work than specialized ministry. I have two years of formal Clinical Pastoral Education and prior to ordination I successfully pursued Board Certification for health care ministry through the NACC. My certification needs to be renewed and I plan to seek dual certification in health care ministry (NACC and APC) when I renew my certification. I have a breadth of experience working with Protestant ministers and collaborating with them to achieve the goals of hospital pastoral care and chaplaincy. These ministers run the spectrum from the liberal to the conservative.

Bachelors of Science-- University of Scranton PA Masters of Arts Theology--- Saint Mary's Seminary and University Baltimore MD Masters of Divinity--- Saint Charles Borremeo Seminary Philadelphia PA Board Certified Chaplain (up for renewal)