Catholics/cardinal in black robe

I was watching the Cardinals taking the oath today (3/12) and couldn't help but notice that one Cardinal was wearing a black robe and hat. I am curious, Who is he? Why was he wearing a black robe when all the others wore red? Thank you.

Cardinals generally wear red, but there are a few "Cardinals" who are actually prelates of Eastern Rite churches in union with Rome (Maronite rite, Ukrainian Catholic rite, etc).  These individuals usually wear black.  Cardinals could technically wear anything they want.  The clothing they wear does not have any liturgical significance; it's like when the Shriners have a parade.  Hope this helps.  

Donald Higby

Most any question about Catholic teachings, the structure of the Church, issues related to Catholic teachings on sexuality and marriage; I also know a lot about biblical foundations for Catholic teaching, and apologetics. As a scientist and a deacon, I am conversant with the dialogue between science and religion.

Deacon, 13 years; Religion minor, Catholic University of America. Self study.

Deacon Digest

Diaconal Formation, four years (college level courses) Catholic University of America, religion minor, philosophy minor. (AB)