how do catholics get to know other members of the church or make friends at your church if there is no fellowship after services
or during the week

I am not sure where you got the idea that Catholics do not have "fellowship" after services.  I know the parish I am assigned has "fellowship" after the early Sunday Mass and during religious Education.

During the week there are many opportunities for gatherings of the parishioners at the many programs offered at my parish whether educational, spiritual, youth oriented, etc.

One factor you have to keep in mind however concerning traditional Protestant Churches (as opposed to the "Mega Church.") Traditional Protestant Churches tend to be smaller which means that it is easier for people to get to know each other.  They usually have one maybe two Sunday services, and thus it is easier to have "Fellowship" hour.  My parish has a total of four weekend masses: One Saturday, three on Sunday. Average attendance at Mass is around 3-500 per Mass. It is not always practical in a parish like this for everyone to know each other or to have "fellowship" after Mass. Your average Catholic parish in my diocese is probably around 1000 families.  The smaller ones around 3-400, the largest around 3500 families.  

But I do assure you your average Catholic parish does offer opportunity for fellowship through different activities that are going on during the week.

Father Dave Bechtel

I am a Catholic priest in good standing and in active ministry in the Diocese of Scranton PA. I can answer most any question about the Catholic Faith, however my area of specialization is Systematic Theology. Systematic Theology is a branch of theology that focuses on the fundamental tenants of the Faith and the Dogmas of the Faith. I have specialization on the Reformation and Catholic vs. Protestant theology/issues and answering Protestant challenges to the Faith.

I was ordained in June of 2008. Since that time the thrust of my ministry has been specialized. In my first assignment I was an assistant pastor. A year later I was sent to work in education. I spent six (6) years in education and have now assumed my first pastorate. While education was the thrust of my ministry, nevertheless I continued to have a hand in parish ministry, hospital chaplaincy and prison chaplaincy. Now that I am out of education I will obviously be focusing more on parish work than specialized ministry. I have two years of formal Clinical Pastoral Education and prior to ordination I successfully pursued Board Certification for health care ministry through the NACC. My certification needs to be renewed and I plan to seek dual certification in health care ministry (NACC and APC) when I renew my certification. I have a breadth of experience working with Protestant ministers and collaborating with them to achieve the goals of hospital pastoral care and chaplaincy. These ministers run the spectrum from the liberal to the conservative.

Bachelors of Science-- University of Scranton PA Masters of Arts Theology--- Saint Mary's Seminary and University Baltimore MD Masters of Divinity--- Saint Charles Borremeo Seminary Philadelphia PA Board Certified Chaplain (up for renewal)