Catholics/Annulment Question

I have been reading up on annulment in The Church and have learned that the grounds for granting an annulment need to have been present at the time of the marriage sacrament.  My question is, if my ex husband and I agreed to have children at the time of our marriage, and agreed to raise them in The Church, does his refusal to have children meet the criteria for an annulment?

Actually, the refusal to have children is generally grounds for annulment.  However, you'd have to be able to show that he didn't intend to have children at the time of the marriage, even though he said he did.  Obviously it looks as though he lied.  Unfortunately people can change their minds about having children, which does not invalidate a marriage.  This might be the discovery of a genetic problem, ill health on the part of one or the other partner, etc.  The best thing is to sit down with your pastor or with a canon lawyer for the diocese and discuss the situation.  They can help you identify the important issues and guide you through the process.  Hope this helps.  

Donald Higby

Most any question about Catholic teachings, the structure of the Church, issues related to Catholic teachings on sexuality and marriage; I also know a lot about biblical foundations for Catholic teaching, and apologetics. As a scientist and a deacon, I am conversant with the dialogue between science and religion.

Deacon, 13 years; Religion minor, Catholic University of America. Self study.

Deacon Digest

Diaconal Formation, four years (college level courses) Catholic University of America, religion minor, philosophy minor. (AB)