Catholics/Corpus Christi

Hello Reverend Michael,

I'm a Lutheran. I've been dating a Catholic for a few years now. However, we live 350 miles apart, so when we do see each other, it is over a 2 or 3 day weekend. We're both very religious, so we always go to church Saturday or Sunday and we take turns going to his and mine. Next time I will be seeing him will be June 1st and 2nd. I understand this is some sort of obligatory day for him. So, I'm wondering, will Saturday evening service count? Or must it be Sunday? Also, can you please explain to me what goes on in this particular service? I usually don't have a problem going unless it's about something that clearly violates my beliefs. So please, if you could, be detailed but also speak in layman's terms.

Thank you much in advance.

God bless,

Christians worship on Sunday, not Saturday.  Saturday is the Jewish Sabbath, which was replaced in the New Covenant.  This has been the case since the very early Church, as documented even the historic correspondence between the Bithinian governor Pliny the Younger and the Roman emperor Trajan from the early second century.

June 2 this year is the External Solemnity of Corpus Christi.  This beautiful feast honors the institution of the Most Blessed Sacrament, the Body of Christ, otherwise called the Most Holy Eucharist.  In the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, Jesus Christ, through the ministry of the priest, offers Himself to God in an unbloody manner under the appearances of bread and wine.  Christ enables us through Himself to adore God suitably, to thank Him worthily for all His favors, to render Him full satisfaction for sin by the offering of the sacrifice of Calvary, and to address to Him our needs.

None other than the Church's Universal Theologian, St. Thomas Aquinas, composed for this feast the Mass formulary and five of the most glorious hymns in the repertory of Gregorian chant.

Traditional Lutherans have some sense of this; liberal Lutherans do not.

Fr. Michael

A traditional Catholic priest, who provides forthright answers to questions FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF TRADITIONAL CATHOLICISM (not the New Order) on topics pertaining to TRADITIONAL Roman Catholicism, including theology, the Bible, Church history, the Latin language, liturgy (especially the Traditional Latin Mass), and music (especially Gregorian chant), and current events in the Catholic Church.