Catholics/God - Spirit

Question
QUESTION: ""Hello Sir
I find Christianity a beautiful and comforting religion. I have been brought up in the U.K, however my ancestry is Indian. I do not follow Christianity as a religion, however I have been strongly influenced by its Teachings stemming from childhood.

My question revolves on God, His Being and Triune, and His manifestation or appearance.
I have read that God is essentially Spirit, without a form or appearance, however He is known as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. If God is Spirit without form then is He not solely The Person of the Holy Spirit, as He is without form and fully God?

In trying to understand the Trinity, I find that accepting God as Spirit, without a form or gender as described  by my limited understanding, confuses the place of Holy Spirit as part of the Trinity in relation to the Father and the Son, are all three not essentially Spirit, what is the difference?

This question is a genuine attempt to understand the above, and is not meant to offend or cause argument.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to look at my question, I look forward to hearing your reply.""

ANSWER: Dear Jaz,

we believe that God is one being in three persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Each of the three persons is a spiritual person, because God is a spiritual being.
The distinction among the three divine persons lies in the relationship of each to the others.
God is one being but He is not solitary; the divine persons are relative to one another. Because it does not divide the divine unity, the real distinction of the persons from one another resides solely in the relationships which relate them to one another. God is love, and love is a communion of persons.   

You must understand that the arithmetic logics is valid only for finite systems of physical objects. But God is NOT a physical object, so you cannot apply the arithmetic logics to God.
Let me give you an example; consider the psychical nature of man. Most psychologists accept the idea that man is not only a conscious self, but also a unconscious self.
So we are one man but two persons; our conscious and unconscious selves.
This example explains that the arithmetic logics cannot be applied to the psychical reality.

I hope this may help you,

your brother in Christ,

Marco
PS I think that faith cannot come only from logic, because to have faith in God means to trust and love God.
I think however that logics and science prove the existence of our soul and the existence of  God and that there are many rational arguments strongly supporting the christian faith.
Basically, science has proved that the state of the universe is determined by some specific mathematical equations, the laws of physics; the universe cannot exist independently from such equations, which determine the events and the properties of such events.
However we know that a mathematical equation cannot exist by itself, but it exists only as a thought in a conscious and intelligent mind. In fact, a mathematical equation is only an abstract concept, which existence presupposes the existence of a person conceiving such a concept.  
Therefore, the existence of this mathematically structured universe does imply the existence of an intelligent God; this universe cannot exist by itself, but it can exist only if there is a conscious and inteligent God conceiving  it according to some specific mathematical equations.
Since the universe cannot exists by itself, but only because God conceive it, God certainly knows everything in every instant. God knows everything becuase eberything is under His control and everything exists only because of Him.

There are some other arguments, which explanation is rather long and Allexperts allows only to give short answers. You can find such arguments  in the following site

http://xoomer.alice.it/fedeescienza/englishnf.html

where  I analyse the incongruencies of the materialistic conception of the mind, on the basis of our present scientific knowledges about brain and matter.
This analysis points out how the laws of physics  prove that the   brain cannot generate consciousness, which existence implies  the presence in man of a unbiological/unmaterial element. The problem of consciousness is then strictly connected to the one of the existence of the soul and, consequently, the existence of God.
In the first article entitled “Mind and brain...” you can find a general discussion of the mind and brain problem from a scientific point of view.
In the second article entitled “Scientific contraddictions in materialism”
you  can find an explanation of the fundamental inconsistencies of  the  typical arguments used by materialists, such as the concept of emergent, macroscopic or holist property, complexity, information, etc.
In the section called “FAQ: answers to  visitors' questions” you can find the answer to many typical questions, such as "Are there any scientifically proved miracles?", "Does the existence of the universe imply the existence of God?", "Can science explain God?", "Can science establish which is the true religion?", "Can science explain consciousness in the future?", and many others.

QUESTION: Thank you kindly for responding to my question Marco.

Specifically I don' t have a problem with the belief of God (or Trinity), I just wish to clarify the present doubt I have which is,

" In trying to understand the Trinity, I find that accepting God as Spirit, without a form or gender as described  by my limited understanding, confuses the place of Holy Spirit as part of the Trinity in relation to the Father and the Son, are all three not essentially Spirit, what is the difference? "

Sorry for being persistent but this is currently my stumbling block in having a clearer understanding of the Trinity.

Answer
Dear Jaz,

when we say that God is a spiritual being, we refer to His nature, a spiritual nature.
When we refer to the the Holy Spirit, we refer to one of the three persons of God.
So the Holy Spirit is a different concept from the concept of spirit as a nature.

I hope this may help you,

your brother in Christ,

Marco

Catholics

Marco