Catholics/Online piracy?

Question
What are the church's thoughts on online piracy. ? Downloading software, ebooks, movies without paying for them?

Is it stealing ? Is it a mortal sin?

Answer
Whenever we take something we do not have a right to take without paying for the item that is stealing.  It does not matter if the object in question is a computer program, or a computer file.  

If you download software that you have no right to and you do not pay for it that would be stealing.

The best way, I think to tell if what you are doing is stealing is simply to look at the law.  Sometimes you can legally download programs for free, or software for free.  Sometimes you can view things on youtube for free.

I would suggest in this case if what you are downloading is illegal, you are stealing.  If what you are downloading is legal, you are not stealing.

I grant the law cannot tell us what is moral or immoral, but sometimes it can help.  In this case I think the law would help us distinguish between what is considered stealing and what is not.

Catholics

Father Dave Bechtel