Catholics/confused

Question
My mother is alive but she is sick with cancer. I am taking it pretty hard considering how she raised me.  SHe was authoritarian style , physically and at times verbally abused me.  She also was very strict about us going to mass on sunday so I ended up going six days a week.  I remember in grade school the church gave me peace that it hasn't given me now.  Yet the child in me is suffering.. I was wondering if the CHurch would help to fill the void that child is feeling..or if it would cause more harm than good and make me resent my mother. What is your opinion?

Answer
My opinion is that I am not qualified to give an opinion on this over a website.  I am not a counselor, therapist or psychologist.  You would best be served here by speaking with a professional.

You simply state that the "child in you is suffering."  You do not qualify as to the nature of the suffering.  Is the suffering grief, pain, guilt, anger, hurt, depression, etc?

One thing I DO know is that whatever else one might go through in the process of grief, guilt is always part of the grief process along with anger.  If the nature of your suffering is guilt or anger that is a normal part of the grief process.  It is something you have to face in order to heal.

Nevertheless given what you are going through I think you would best be served by speaking with a counselor, therapist, or psychologist.  They are professionals who are formally trained in aiding people get through their emotional sufferings. I would also add that if I WAS formally trained as a counselor, psychologist, or therapist for the problem such as you have it is best to talk to someone in person and not counsel them over a website.  

Catholics

Father Dave Bechtel