Catholics/Suffering

Question
Hello and thankyou for taking my question. I suffered a very bad childhood under the hands of abusive alcoholic parents. My mom has turned her life over to God in past years and couldnt be a sweeter person. My dad is now just turning his life over to christ and has also become very kind to me. My spiritual director tells me (and I agree with her) that my sufferings as a child were the result of God's mercy towards my parent in allowing the dysfunction to continue in hopes that they would repent. I believe all she told me and would like to have some bible verses on the subject so I can read more about it but dont know where to begin. Maybe you could offer some verses or other bits of wisdom.

Answer
Proverbs 3:12/DRV.  For whom the Lord loveth, he chastiseth.

Romans 5:3 5/DRV.  And not only so; but we glory also in tribulation, knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience trial; and trial hope; And hope confoundeth not; because the charity of God is poured forth in our hearts, by the Holy Ghost who is given to us.

Romans 8:18/DRV.  For I reckon that the sufferings of this time are not worthy to be compared with the glory to come that shall be revealed in us.

Romans 11:34/DRV.  How incomprehensible are His [God's] judgments, and how unsearchable His ways!  For who hath known the mind of the Lord?  Or who hath been His counsellor?

2 Corinthians 1:5/DRV.  For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us:  so also by Christ doth our comfort abound.

1 Peter 4:13-14/DRV.  But if you partake of the sufferings of Christ, rejoice that, when  his glory shall be revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.  If you be reproached for the name of Christ, you shall be blessed:  for that which is of the honour, glory and power of God, and that which is his Spirit, resteth upon you.

Catholics

Fr. Michael