QUESTION: Dear Marco,

When I pray I ask for God's help with specific struggles that I maybe going through in life. Is this ok or is this selfish of me. I also try to thank him for the things he has given me.

Thank you,

ANSWER: Dear Lauren,

I think that prayer is the most direct way we can establish a relationship with the Lord.
When we pray, we are with Him, we may feel His presence near us.
I think that when we pray, we should simply talk the the Lord, explain to Him our feelings, our fears, our sufferings, our troubles, ecc. We know He already know them, but when we open our heart to Him and talk to Him openly, we can feel His Presence and be conforted by Him.
So it is absolutely ok to ask for God's help with specific struggles.
I think this is exactly what the Lord wants us to do; in fact the Lord wants us to trust Him, to rely on His help. And of course it is absolutely right to thank God for everything.

I hope this may help,

your brother in Christ,

PS I think that faith cannot come only from logic, because to have faith in God means to trust and love God.
I think however that logics and science prove the existence of our soul and the existence of  God and that there are many rational arguments strongly supporting the christian faith.
Basically, science has proved that the state of the universe is determined by some specific mathematical equations, the laws of physics; the universe cannot exist independently from such equations, which determine the events and the properties of such events.
However we know that a mathematical equation cannot exist by itself, but it exists only as a thought in a conscious and intelligent mind. In fact, a mathematical equation is only an abstract concept, which existence presupposes the existence of a person conceiving such a concept.  
Therefore, the existence of this mathematically structured universe does imply the existence of an intelligent God; this universe cannot exist by itself, but it can exist only if there is a conscious and inteligent God conceiving  it according to some specific mathematical equations.
Since the universe cannot exists by itself, but only because God conceive it, God certainly knows everything in every instant. God knows everything becuase eberything is under His control and everything exists only because of Him.

There are some other arguments, which explanation is rather long and Allexperts allows only to give short answers. You can find such arguments  in the following site

where  I analyse the incongruencies of the materialistic conception of the mind, on the basis of our present scientific knowledges about brain and matter.
This analysis points out how the laws of physics  prove that the   brain cannot generate consciousness, which existence implies  the presence in man of a unbiological/unmaterial element. The problem of consciousness is then strictly connected to the one of the existence of the soul and, consequently, the existence of God.
In the first article entitled “Mind and brain...” you can find a general discussion of the mind and brain problem from a scientific point of view.
In the second article entitled “Scientific contraddictions in materialism”
you  can find an explanation of the fundamental inconsistencies of  the  typical arguments used by materialists, such as the concept of emergent, macroscopic or holist property, complexity, information, etc.
In the section called “FAQ: answers to  visitors' questions” you can find the answer to many typical questions, such as "Are there any scientifically proved miracles?", "Does the existence of the universe imply the existence of God?", "Can science explain God?", "Can science establish which is the true religion?", "Can science explain consciousness in the future?", and many others.

QUESTION: Dear Marco,

Thank you for your advice and wisdom. I truly appreciate it and think it is wonderful that you offer advice to people who seek it on your site.

I also wanted to know if it is possible to pray during the day amidst the business of everyday life. Sometimes I find a minute that is quiet that I would like to ask for God's help but I am not in the room alone. Can I pray silently to God without making the sign of the cross. Do I always have to pray the "Our Father" before asking for help?

Dear Lauren,

you can certainly pray silently any time and it is not necessary to make the sign of the cross, nor to pray the "Our Father".
The Lord is always ready to listen to our prayers.
Sometimes our prayers may consist in a few words only, but if these words are thought with faith and come from our heart, they are very precious to God.
The Lord is very close to us when we pray, so it is certainly a good thing to pray all the time, even if silently with our thoughts.

Your brother in Christ,

I am a catholic physicist and I am married with four children. I can give a scientific proof of the existence of the soul. I am very interested in the following issues: faith and science, rational proof of the existence of God, christianity versus other religions, the Bible, protestantism versus catholicism, miracles. Probably you will find interesting my answers to questions such as: "How can I know that God exist?", "How can I know that catholicism is the true religion?", "Why does evil exist?", "Who created evil?", "Why does Hell exist?", "Why did Jesus have to suffer on the Cross?" , "If God knows everything, why did He create those souls who go to Hell?"

Theology, physics, biblical studies, catholic apologetics.

I am author of several articles on the most important scientific journals, such as Physical Review B and Physical Review Letters.

A degree in Physics and a Ph.D. in Solid State Physics.