Catholics/Trinity

Question
How would you explain the trinity.

Is Jesus the Almighty God

Answer
Bob, nice to hear from Down Under.
I'll begin an explanation with a story:  Augustine [lived about 1500 years ago]recounts that while planning to write about the Trinity, he was walking the beach of the Mediterranean. He watched a small child taking a shell full of water from the sea and pouring the water into a hole in the beach.  The child continued to do the same thing.  Augustine asked, "Why are you pouring the sea water into the hole?"  "I'm going to pour the sea into the hole," was the reply. Augstine commented, "You cannot pour the vast sea into a little hole." The child answered, "It would be easier for me to pour the sea into the hole than for you to understand the Trinity."  The child disappeared.  
Augustine did write a treatise, which is still regarded as one of the best on the topic.
For several centuries after the time of Jesus, great theologians pondered how to understand more fully the teachings of Jesus about the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The church finally decided after some councils on a Creed [the Nicene-Constantinople] professing that the one Divine Nature [One God] is shared equally by three distinct Persons -- the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  The Son became true man [Jesus Christ]. The Father is God; the Son is God; the Holy Spirit is God.
As earthly persons with human [limited]intelligence, we are cannot completly understand the infinite Godhead -- a mystery.  However, we do believe in God's infallible message.
Augustine penned a magnificent, insightful analogy [based on human intellect and will] about the Trinity: From all eternity, the Father expressed Himself [intellect]in one word, that word was not just a word but a reality, the divine Word of God [the Son].  Also, from all eternity the Father and the Word loved [will] each other, that was not just a thought but a reality, the divine Holy Spirit. So, the relationship between the Persons is that the Son proceeds from the Father, and the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son.
If you would like to read more about the Trinity, check The Catechism of the Catholic Church, pargraphs 238-256, 261-264 -- available online at: www.usccb.org/catechism/text/index.htm.
I you wish more from me, please feel free to write again.
Best wishes to you, Bob, and yours.

Catholics

Edward Bode