Catholics/Cross

Question
Words concerning the cross of Jesus have been used recently, including wonderous, glorious, venerate, and exalt.  I find it difficult to accept such positive sentiments and would appreciate any comments or Scripture references.

Answer
Two of the strongest references to the Cross of Christ as something positive (by which what is really meant is the love displayed by Christ in going to that torturous place voluntarily for our sakes) are 1 Corinthians 1:17-18 and Galatians 6:14.
The first reads:  "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the Gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.  For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."
And the second reads:  "But God forbid that I should glory except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."
The Gospel writer John also reports Jesus Christ comparing His lifting up on the cross to the lifting up of the bronze serpent (by Moses) to bring healing, thus (John 3:14-15):  "And as Moses lifted up the [bronze] serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life."  And again (John 12:32-33):  "[Jesus speaking] 'And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.'  This He said, signifying by what death He would die."  So our Lord Himself also saw His being lifted up (on the cross) as an exaltation and glory rather than a humiliation.
Finally, there is the fact that identifiable specimens of the wood of the true Cross (not to be confused with cheap souvenirs that street vendors will eagerly sell you in the streets of Italy or Israel, but actual certified portions, the combined bulk of which would scarcely comprise a third of the actual cross used) may be venerated as actual artifacts of this heroic sacrifice of the Son of God.  The crucifixion of Christ is not merely some story or some ancient event with no connection to today, but an actual event of the highest importance, and therefore there is something of a venerability to all that was directly part of that, especially when such an artifact is on hand for us to behold to this day.

Catholics

Griff Ruby