Catholics/Jesus and God

I have a question relating to some verses I have read. I was hoping you could provide an answer for me

Can you please explain just who Jesus is in relation to God.  Is he the Almighty, is one   individual that makes up the Almighty, if he is one of three individual that makes up the Almighty, Are he and The Father and the Holy Ghost all considered to be Gods in their own right. Or is Jesus one aspect of  the One God.

So when we read God in my Douay Bible just who is that referring to?  This has to do with the following verses as they  seem to be saying Jesus had a God the same God that his followers had

John 2:17 Jesus saith to her: Do not touch me: for I am not yet ascended to my Father. But go to my brethren and say to them: I ascend to my Father and to your Father, to my God and to your God.

1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know that the head of every man is Christ: and the head of the woman is the man: and the head of Christ is God.

Colossians 1:3 Grace be to you and peace, from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ. We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you.

Thank you for your time

dear Brenton
      Sorry for the delay, I was having issues with my email account related to this page, so I couldn't read notices from

Now on to your question and my attempt to answer it.

Catholics confess the doctrine of the Trinity; the belief that God is three persons—the Father, Son and Holy Spirit—coexisting in one being is how the trinity doctrine is often defined.

Below is based on noted, I used for an apologetic paper on the doctrine.

The first step is to establish how many Gods exist: one! Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8; 45:5,14,18,21,22; 46:9; 47:8; John 17:3; 1 Cor. 8:5-6; Gal. 4:8-9

"I am the LORD, and there is no other; besides Me there is no God," (Isaiah 45:5).
   “Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me," (Isaiah 44:6).

The Trinity
Called God   Phil. 1:2   John 1:1,14; Col. 2:9   Acts 5:3-4
Creator   Isaiah 64:8   John 1:3; Col. 1:15-17   Job 33:4, 26:13
Resurrects   1 Thess. 1:10   John 2:19, 10:17   Rom. 8:11
Indwells   2 Cor. 6:16   Col. 1:27   John 14:17
Everywhere   1 Kings 8:27   Matt. 28:20   Psalm 139:7-10
All knowing   1 John 3:20   John 16:30; 21:17   1 Cor. 2:10-11
Sanctifies   1 Thess. 5:23   Heb. 2:11   1 Pet. 1:2
Life giver   Gen. 2:7: John 5:21   John 1:3; 5:21   2 Cor. 3:6,8
Fellowship   1 John 1:3   1 Cor. 1:9   2 Cor. 13:14; Phil. 2:1
Eternal   Psalm 90:2   Micah 5:1-2   Rom. 8:11; Heb. 9:14
A Will   Luke 22:42   Luke 22:42   1 Cor. 12:11
Speaks   Matt. 3:17; Luke 9:25   Luke 5:20; 7:48   Acts 8:29; 11:12; 13:2
Love   John 3:16   Eph. 5:25   Rom. 15:30
the heart   Jer. 17:10   Rev. 2:23   1 Cor. 2:10

Therefore, the doctrine of the Trinity is arrived at by looking at the whole of scripture, not in a single verse.  It is the doctrine that there is only one God, not three, and that the one God exists in three persons: Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. An analogy would be time.  Time is past, present, and future.  But, there are not three times, only one.

I hope this answers your question.  

George A. Card,sfo, M.I

I am willing to attempt to answer any question. If I don’t know the answer, I will look-up or pass the question on to friends for feed back. Beside Catholicism (especially the social/moral and the Eastern rites), I am well read on Mormonism and so-called Modern Christian Fundamentalism. Also I study Franciscan History as means of growing in my lay Franciscan calling to holiness in Christ.

25+ years as the Justice and Peace Liaison for my (local)Secular Franciscan Fraternity,22+ years public speaking on the Faith,and/or teaching CCD and Youth Retreats,a former Officer for K of C and my SFO Fraternity,still hold appointed offices in local osf fraternity

Catholic Church, Rome Rite
Secular Fraciscan Order
Knights of Columbus
The Men's Study (A local Catholic study group I co founded)
Militia Immaculata(Knights of the Immaculate

Local News Letters:Mostly my Poetry

2 years of Minor Seminary
Bible and Adult Faith Studies and Seminars