Catholics/Did Jesus have a God

I have a question relating to some verses I have read. I was hoping you could provide an answer for me

Can you please explain just who Jesus is in relation to God.  Is he the Almighty, is one   individual that makes up the Almighty, if he is one of three individual that makes up the Almighty, Are he and The Father and the Holy Ghost all considered to be Gods in their own right. Or is Jesus one aspect of  the One God.

So when we read God in my Douay Bible just who is that referring to?  This has to do with the following verses as they  seem to be saying Jesus had a God the same God that his followers had

John 2:17 Jesus saith to her: Do not touch me: for I am not yet ascended to my Father. But go to my brethren and say to them: I ascend to my Father and to your Father, to my God and to your God.

1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know that the head of every man is Christ: and the head of the woman is the man: and the head of Christ is God.

Colossians 1:3 Grace be to you and peace, from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ. We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you.

Thank you for your time

To answer your concern, Brenton, I begin with two general bible issues relating to your specific question about the relationship to Jesus to God.

First: To understand a bible verse, one needs to examine not only the verse itself but also the context.  The context refers to checking several aspects of the library [books of the bible written by many over many centuries in different languages]to understand the complementary meaning [non-contradictory]from God, Who does not lie or deceive]. That understanding comes only from what else a human author wrote on the subject but also what other scripture writers taught.

Second: For some centuries after the time of Jesus and the collection and approval of the New Testament writings, Jesus' followers and scholars discussed explaining the relationship of Jesus with the Godhead, that is, how to understand more fully the teachings of Jesus about the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The church finally decided after some councils on a Creed [the Nicene-Constantinople] professing that the one Divine Nature [One God] is shared equally by three distinct Persons -- the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  The Son became true man [Jesus Christ]. The Father is God; the Son is God; the Holy Spirit is God.

Third: The Trinity  
I with a story:  Augustine [about 1500 years ago]recounts that while planning to write about the Trinity, he was walking the Mediterranean beach. He watched a small child taking a shell full of water from the sea and pouring the water into a hole in the beach.  The child continued to do the same thing.  Augustine asked, "Why are you pouring the sea water into the hole?"  The reply, "I'm going to pour the sea into the hole."  Augustine commented, "You cannot pour the vast sea into a little hole." The child answered, "It would be easier for me to pour the sea into the hole than for you to understand the Trinity."  The child disappeared.  
Augustine did write a treatise, still regarded as one of the best on the topic.
As earthly persons with human [limited]intelligence, we are cannot completely understand the infinite Godhead -- a mystery.  However, we do believe in God's infallible message.
Augustine penned a magnificent, insightful analogy [based on human intellect and will] about the Trinity: From all eternity, the Father expressed Himself [intellect]in one word, that word was not just a word but a reality, the divine Word of God [the Son].  Also, from all eternity the Father and the Word loved [will] each other, that was not just a thought but a reality, the divine Holy Spirit. So, the relationship between the Persons is that the Son proceeds from the Father, and the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son.
The Son became a true man, Jesus Christ. If you would like to read more about the Trinity, check The Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraphs 238-256, 261-264 -- available online at:

In regard to your specific verses:
John 20:17 -- Jesus is referring to the fact that there is one God [one divine nature], Who is God for all, including Jesus Himself.
1 Cor 11:3 -- Paul uses "kephale" [Greek -- literally "head" but also can mean "source"] and "aner" [Greek -- can mean man [male],also can refer to humanity in general]. The image comes from the story of creation [Genesis chapter 2], which is referenced in 1 Cor 11:8-9.   Also see 1 Cor 11:11, 3:23; also Gal 3:28.
Col 1:3 -- Paul implies a recognition of the Trinity -- the relationship between God the Father and God the Son [who became man]. Paul uses this greeting in other letters, for example, 1 and 2 Cor, Tim, Gal, Col, 1 Thes.
I hope these lenghty thoughts are of some help.  If you wish more, please feel free to write again.
May God bless, you Brenton, with many special graces.

Edward Bode

Catholic dogma, especially as related to Scripture. I have a doctorate in biblical theology [University of St. Thomas, Rome]. I do not answer questions concerning personal moral situations -- ones dealing with right and wrong [sin].

I have taught Catholic thought in grade and high schools, and in college and universities.

Catholic Biblical Association

Catholic Biblical Quarterly, The Bible Today.

Graduate degrees in theology from the Pontifical Gregorian University, in scripture from the Pontifical Biblical Institute, and a doctorate in theology from the Pontifical University of St. Thomas; all in Rome