Catholics/bible

Question
Pax!
I bought the New Testament in Greek. It says something like this: Editio academica quarta decima. I am familiar with the fact that we have official editions of the Vugata and the Nova Vulgata but how it is with the Greek New Testament I don't know. What is the official edition(s) (we have two official Latin Bible) of the Greek Bible (I am mostly interested in the New Testament)?
Could you please explain this to me? How does this work?

btw, does the Byzantine Catholics have local Liturgical calendars like the Latin Catholics?

Answer
Peace

dear Andrew
       First, sorry for the delay--I was having problems with email account attach to my board here at ALLExperts.com.
        Yes, the Byzantine have their own calendar(s),some of the universal feast over-lap, some do not. Below is good link to start exploring them.

http://www.byzcath.org/index.php/resources-mainmenu-63/2014-liturgical-calendar

The only "official" Greek I know of is the Septuagint. I say "official" because I believe was or is the official translation of the OT, used by most Byzantine based rites of the Church what have Greek as it liturgical tongue.

The Septuagint from the Latin word septuaginta (meaning seventy), is a translation of the Hebrew Bible and some related texts into Koine Greek. The title (Greek: Ἡ μετάφρασις τῶν Ἑβδομήκοντα) and its Roman numeral acronym LXX refer to the legendary seventy Jewish scholars who completed the translation as early as the late 2nd century BCE. As the primary Greek translation of the Old Testament, it is also called the Greek Old Testament. This translation is quoted in the New Testament,[1] particularly in the Pauline epistles,[2] and also by the Apostolic Fathers and later Greek Church Fathers. It canon is the same as the Catholic canon for the OT.

The traditional story is that Ptolemy II sponsored the translation for use by the many Alexandrian Jews who were not fluent in Hebrew but fluent in Koine Greek,[3] which was the lingua franca of Alexandria, Egypt and the Eastern Mediterranean at the time.[4]

The Septuagint should not be confused with the seven or more other Greek versions of the Old Testament, most of which did not survive except as fragments (some parts of these being known from Origen's Hexapla, a comparison of six translations in adjacent columns, now almost wholly lost). Of these, the most important are those by Aquila, Symmachus, and Theodotion.

Btw: The Gospel of Saint Matthew was original written is Hebrew.

George

Catholics

George A. Card,sfo, M.I