Catholics/Marriage Info

Question
Hi My fiancÚ is in the marines and lives in North Carolina. We are going to get married by a magistrate in the next month for a number of time sensitive reasons but it is also very important to us and our families to get married in the catholic church back home in PA. While I know that we can not be married twice I want to know if it is possible to get married by the state and still have a regular wedding ceremony in the church at a later date.

Answer
Yes, it is possible.  You would have to make an appointment with your pastor to discuss this.  I do need to note however that while it is possible the Church would not encourage this kind of thing.

You would have your married "Convalidated" which is to say--the marriage would be recognized by the Church.

Catholics

Father Dave Bechtel