Catholics/Easter Obligation

Question
Can a Catholic satisfy his Easter Sunday obligation by attending Mass on holy Saturday afternoon or evening?

Answer
Of course!  In fact not only CAN you fulfill your Easter Obligation by attending the Easter Vigil it is HIGHLY ENCOURAGED for you to do so!

Holy Week (which began with Palm Sunday) is the most sacred week of the entire year.  Maundy Thursday begins the Easter Tide celebration with the Mass of the Lord's Supper.  Lent ends on Maundy Thursday and Easter begins.  The Easter Vigil (in most Dioceses celebrated at 8:00 or later) concludes the most solemn and holy week of the Liturgical year.  

At the Easter Vigil (if everything is done) we are taken through the entirely to salvation history beginning with the fall of the human race in the Garden of Eden and culminating with the Resurrection of Christ.  The Resurrection is God's yes to humanity---and his defeat of the evil and death.  However we await the unveiling of the whole glory of God which will come at the end times.  At that time God will utterly destroy the devil and death and all his followers.  

The Easter Vigil is a very beautiful service--but it is long.  It is anywhere from 1 and 1/2 hours (the shortest) to 3 hours (the longest.)  The length of the service really depends on a number of factors: how "high church" the priest is that is celebrating it, and whether there are any baptisms or confirmations taking place.  The more "high church" (meaning chants, bells, smells, processions, all 9 readings, etc,) the priest is who celebrates the vigil the longer it is going to take.  If you cannot sit for that long--you probably want to go to Mass Easter Sunday. Mass on Easter Sunday is pretty much just regular Mass.

But through attending the Easter Vigil you can certainly fulfill your Easter obligation. Then you can sleep in on Easter Sunday and have a nice day with family and friends.  

Catholics

Father Dave Bechtel