Catholics/prayer

Question
Dear Marco,

I had a religion teacher tell me God is not warm and fuzzy. It was because I said that I thought he may give us obstacles in life because he wants us to learn something greater from the obstacle he gives us and prevent a bigger obstacle.

This is making me confused now. I have prayed and had my prayers answered. The things I asked were that the people at work would be friendly and nice to me etc. But because of what my religion teacher said I am thinking now that if God isn't warm and fuzzy that we can not ask for things in prayer and think he may answer them.  Isn't love warm and fuzzy though? And God has been said to be love.

Love,
Lauren

Answer
Dear Lauren,

I think that prayer is first of all the way to feel God's presence near us. When we pray, we should simply talk the the Lord, explain to Him our feelings, our fears, our sufferings, our troubles, ecc. We know He already know them, but when we open our heart to Him and talk to Him openly, we can feel His Presence and be conforted by Him. Sometimes our requests may not be granted, because they are not according to God's will. So, it is absolutely right to pray the Lord for an help for your daily troubles. God loves each of us infinitely and we must think of Him as our heavenly Father.
I do not know what your religion teacher meant, but I tell you to go on praying the Lord as a loving Father.

I hope this may help you,

your brother in Christ,

Marco

PS I think that faith cannot come only from logic, because to have faith in God means to trust and love God.
I think however that logics and science prove the existence of our soul and the existence of  God and that there are many rational arguments strongly supporting the christian faith.
Basically, science has proved that the state of the universe is determined by some specific mathematical equations, the laws of physics; the universe cannot exist independently from such equations, which determine the events and the properties of such events.
However we know that a mathematical equation cannot exist by itself, but it exists only as a thought in a conscious and intelligent mind. In fact, a mathematical equation is only an abstract concept, which existence presupposes the existence of a person conceiving such a concept.  
Therefore, the existence of this mathematically structured universe does imply the existence of an intelligent God; this universe cannot exist by itself, but it can exist only if there is a conscious and inteligent God conceiving  it according to some specific mathematical equations.
Since the universe cannot exists by itself, but only because God conceive it, God certainly knows everything in every instant. God knows everything becuase eberything is under His control and everything exists only because of Him.

There are some other arguments, which explanation is rather long and Allexperts allows only to give short answers. You can find such arguments  in the following site

http://xoomer.alice.it/fedeescienza/englishnf.html

where  I analyse the incongruencies of the materialistic conception of the mind, on the basis of our present scientific knowledges about brain and matter.
This analysis points out how the laws of physics  prove that the   brain cannot generate consciousness, which existence implies  the presence in man of a unbiological/unmaterial element. The problem of consciousness is then strictly connected to the one of the existence of the soul and, consequently, the existence of God.
In the first article entitled “Mind and brain...” you can find a general discussion of the mind and brain problem from a scientific point of view.
In the second article entitled “Scientific contraddictions in materialism”
you  can find an explanation of the fundamental inconsistencies of  the  typical arguments used by materialists, such as the concept of emergent, macroscopic or holist property, complexity, information, etc.
In the section called “FAQ: answers to  visitors' questions” you can find the answer to many typical questions, such as "Are there any scientifically proved miracles?", "Does the existence of the universe imply the existence of God?", "Can science explain God?", "Can science establish which is the true religion?", "Can science explain consciousness in the future?", and many others.  

Catholics

Marco