Catholics/Is secret shopping ok?

Question
I have signed up to do secret shopping for some extra money, and was wondering about the morality of it.  Some of the jobs entail pretending to be interested in a product or service.For example, I saw a job where I would need to pretend I was interested in a car and go to the dealership to evaluate the service.  I would then report back to the company my observations and customer service experience.  Is this considered lying and deception?

Answer
I can understand why you might think this is lying or deceitful.  

At the same time the only way to get accurate information about the quality of service at different places is precisely to pretend to be a customer.  I do know that car salesmen expect this- because I know one and he commented on it.  He said it is frustrating for him to waste time on a non-sale but it is part of the job.  

In fact this helps keep these places of business on their toes since they never know if the person they are "helping" is evaluating them.   

Since most if not all places of business know that this happens in order to evaluate the quality of service--it might be considered a pain in the neck by them since again they waste time on a non-sale, nevertheless they do understand it happens and they expect it. They know that it is part of the job and part of the routine to ensure they are doing a good job.  

I would therefore suggest that "secret shopping" is morally acceptable.  While the staff do not know when someone might be evaluating them or who is doing so, nevertheless they do expect it as part of their job performance evaluation.  

Catholics

Father Dave Bechtel