Because of Paul's theology the death of Jesus was looked upon  as the sacrifice of an innocent human being to a savage God in order to bring a bout an after life for believers who accepted Jesus as God. During his life Jesus did not seem to care what his audiences thought about him in order to obtain an afterlife. He cared about their deeds. Why was Paul's brutal theology accepted so easily.
Especially when both Paul and Jesus were both entirely wrong about an immediate End Time. As described in the New Testament's earliest Book of One Thessalonians and the book of Mark and even later in the book of Matthew and Revelations. Where was doubt and rationality?

Here is the response that I sent earlier today.  I hope this arrives!
Nice to hear from you again, Charles.
Your proposed understandings of NT texts fail to appreciate the true/complete meaning of NT texts.  Rather than "savage," God is supremely saving and sharing.  His infinite love not only preserves us in existence but also is willing to share His infinite goodness and happiness.
Despite Jesus' predictions of His own death, followers did not understand and even Peter objected.  Jesus showed humanity by His example and teaching the way to overcome life's problems and find unending complete happiness.
To understand Christ's message one has to evaluate verses not by themselves but in the complete context of the total, truthful message.  God does not speak with forked tongue but with the desire for all to come to a knowledge of the TRUTH [without contradictions].
Thessalonians hoped for a quick endtime, Paul did not accept that as a fact in his first letter. The gospels [including Mark] say that we do not know the day or the hour of endtime.  Revelation [adressed to the persecuted of Asia Minor in latter first century AD] exhorts Christians especially through the liturgy [feast/banquet] of the Pascal Lamb to partake of His food to strengthen themselves against the devilish and beastly persecutions of Babylon [code for Rome empire; city of seven hills]which will be overcome [symbolic thousand years].
The doubt of some followers was met with the rationality of assured assistance.  Jesus, Paul and the Apostolic tradition were not wrong that endtime will come; they did not teach it was coming very soon.
Charles, best wishes with hope to hear from you again.  

Edward Bode

Catholic dogma, especially as related to Scripture. I have a doctorate in biblical theology [University of St. Thomas, Rome]. I do not answer questions concerning personal moral situations -- ones dealing with right and wrong [sin].

I have taught Catholic thought in grade and high schools, and in college and universities.

Catholic Biblical Association

Catholic Biblical Quarterly, The Bible Today.

Graduate degrees in theology from the Pontifical Gregorian University, in scripture from the Pontifical Biblical Institute, and a doctorate in theology from the Pontifical University of St. Thomas; all in Rome