Catholics/Keeping the Lord's Day Holy

QUESTION: Is it a sin to purchase things on Sunday or holly days of obligation? If so does this also include simply going out to breakfast or dinner on those particular days?

Thank you father and God bless.

ANSWER: A significant amount of servile work that is prohibited on Sundays in order to "keep the Lord's Day holy."  To the extent possible given the circumstances, mercantile activities should also be avoided.  If you are unsure in a given case, consult your traditional Catholic priest or confessor.  A geographical list of this is available at

Catholics who are true to their faith should be devoting time on Sunday not only to worshipping their Creator at Holy Mass (be sure that it is the valid Traditional Latin Mass, not the invalid New Order Protestantize service) and Divine Office (if available), but also to meditating on the Epistle and Gospel of the Sunday, studying Sacred Scripture, practicing personal devotions, reading Church History and the Lives of the Saints, etc.

QUESTION: I do not live near any of those priest. So I mean for now all I pretty much have is you (in terms of more specific questions).

So is it or is it not sinful to purchase things on Sunday and or holly days of obligation? I thought "mercantile' referred more to trading and not purchasing?

Thank you father and God bless.

This varies according to local custom.  In secular states, there is often no choice.  The more important thing is to devote some part of the day to religious devotions, education, prayer, meditation, etc.  Be sure to check the geographical list of traditional Catholic churches and chapels at  There may be one near year that you don't know about.

Fr. Michael

A traditional Catholic priest, who provides forthright answers to questions FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF TRADITIONAL CATHOLICISM (not the New Order) on topics pertaining to TRADITIONAL Roman Catholicism, including theology, the Bible, Church history, the Latin language, liturgy (especially the Traditional Latin Mass), and music (especially Gregorian chant), and current events in the Catholic Church.