Catholics/prayer for anointing the sick

Question
Although I am not Catholic, I recently attended Mass with a friend. Before the service started, the priest approached my friend (who is Hispanic) and asked if he could translate into Spanish the prayers for anointing the sick. My friend agreed to take a look at the prayers and see what he can do.

This whole thing seems a little weird to me. Don't those prayers already exist in Spanish? Why would it be necessary for a parishioner to translate them? Would they even be considered "Official" prayers?

In any case, do you know where my friend can get the prayers in Spanish.

Thanks,

Jo

Answer
Once again it seems I am not getting these emails from all experts when I have a question.  I am sorry my reply has taken so long but I am not getting the original emails for some reason.

I do not know why a priest would ask for the prayers for anointing to be translated into Spanish unless he was going to anoint someone who speaks Spanish and thus wanted to pray in their language so they could understand the prayer.

The prayers I am sure do already exist in Spanish and they would be considered "official" prayers.  Priests who pastor parishes with large Hispanic populations offer Mass in Spanish. I don't know where to get them since I am not engaged in Hispanic ministry--but those who are should know where to get them.

I would suggest if you want to know where to get prayers in Spanish that you call the diocese where you are located or where the priest is located and talk to the worship office, or the office for Hispanic outreach/ministry/affairs, etc.  Most if not all dioceses have offices set up for Hispanic ministry.  

Catholics

Father Dave Bechtel