Catholics/Book of Genesis

In the Book of Genesis we read about Adam and Eve.
In understand that this book is telling us about history in a philosophical and theological way rather than giving us histrical facts. Is that correct?
I often think about how much I love women so understanding why Adam was happy to meet Eve is of no difficulty for me at all. What I don't understand is why Adam couldn't be satisified by having a relationship with God. I mean, Adam looked around the Garden of Eden but was not satisified until he met Eve. Why was God not sufficient for him? Is there anything written about this or maybe you could tell me the anser to this?

I think you have to read the Book from the standpoint of why it was written.  Many authorities think that throughout the middle east there were origin stories, many of which showed God (or gods) in a terrible light, and humans as the byproduct of gods fighting.  The author(s) of Genesis took these stories and retold them emphasizing the goodness of the One God, and trying to show that God is not responsible for what they do with their freedom.  That being said:  the story tells us that humans "were not meant to be alone" (God said this) implying that in a real sense a relationship with God was not sufficient (else why would God have said this?)  When God makes Eve, Adam says, "At last, here is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh", Adam recognizes that he is now "complete" whereas before he was not.  God, it seems, intends for humans to be in relationship with him, but through relationship with each other.  Being saved according to scripture is not just an individual thing, but a group thing.  Israel was punished as a whole for the sins of some.  Jesus equates salvation with whether or not you are charitable to your neighbor.  
All in all, I think the Genesis story tells us that humans need each other in order to become fully human, and God made us this way.  Hope this helps.  

Donald Higby

Most any question about Catholic teachings, the structure of the Church, issues related to Catholic teachings on sexuality and marriage; I also know a lot about biblical foundations for Catholic teaching, and apologetics. As a scientist and a deacon, I am conversant with the dialogue between science and religion.

Deacon, 13 years; Religion minor, Catholic University of America. Self study.

Deacon Digest

Diaconal Formation, four years (college level courses) Catholic University of America, religion minor, philosophy minor. (AB)