Catholics/Latest facts in science for Catholics

Question
Do you think Catholics should be aware of the latest facts in science, Biblical scholarship and ancient history if they want to know them?
What if these facts endanger their precious faith? Should they test their faith?

Answer
The findings of modern science or history do not threaten the Catholic Faith so it does not matter whether Catholics are aware of them or not.  It is certainly good to be educated--so if Catholics want to learn the different sciences of study history, great.

As for Biblical Scholarship: nothing that Scripture teaches correctly understood threatens the Catholic Faith.  Scripture is like a mirror of Tradition.  What the Church teaches, Scripture teaches and what Scripture teaches the Church teaches.  The idea that the Church universal would teach something outside of the Scriptures was not an issue the early Church had considered.  Certainly individual Church Fathers believed they could err.  Because of this statements from individual fathers cautioning their flocks to make sure what they are teaching is scriptural should not be surprising.  However whether the Church taken as a whole (bishops in union with the pope) would err or teach something outside the Scriptures was not a question that concerned the early Church. That question would not surface until the 1200's and would eventually split the Church in the Reformation with Protestants affirming that it IS possible for the Church to teach something outside the Scriptures and the Catholic Church denying that possibility.

Modern Biblical Scholarship can be a threat to the Catholic Faith because of the presuppositions that govern it.  Modern Biblical Scholarship is riddled with the presuppositions of the enlightenment and thus tends to minimize things like the miracles and try to rationalize them away.  Modern Scholarship also makes too much of the discrepancies in the Gospels missing the Forrest for the trees.  Modern Scholarship also tends to minimize the authority of the Bible and call into question the credibility of Scripture.  To this end it tends to downplay the divine nature of Scripture and exaggerate the human component.  Modern Scholarship tends to dismiss as irreverent the rich tradition of the Church and examines only the literal meaning of the passage.  It either ignores or dismisses as irrelevant the fuller spiritual meaning of Scripture.

Here is an example of what sticks out in my head from my days in one of the seminaries I went to:

The real miracle of the feeding of the 5,000 was that Jesus got the people to share, not that he multiplied loaves and fishes.

That is just one example.  There are many others but this is the one that I remember.  I remember when I was learning this stuff thinking that it was complete garbage.  Why I wondered didn't the Catholic Biblical theologians actually try and defend Scripture?  Why did they align themselves with the liberal scholarship of the Protestants?

The above example I provided is actually quite mild compared to the extreme wing of this type of "scholarship."  Taken to its logical conclusion the resurrection of Jesus becomes a non-historical event, something that never happened. The Resurrection is nothing more than the rise of the Easter Faith in the minds of Christ's followers. This is utter hogwash. As Saint Paul says and I echo: if the Resurrection is not a historical event there is no point to being Catholic and Christian. Our Faith is a joke and Jesus is a clown not worthy of Faith and trust.

In short: we have nothing to fear from discoveries in Science or history, nor Scripture scholarship--provided that they are all properly understood and kept in their proper context.  

Catholics

Father Dave Bechtel