Catholics/The Two Beginnings of Mark

Isn't it true that half of the earliest Greek texts of Gospel of Mark begin with "This is the beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ." (In the Greek text Christ means the anointed one.) While later Greek texts begin with "This is the beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ the son of God." This later addition is probably the work of an enthusiastic copyist and became the sacred text for following copyist's who never looked back at the earlier texts to check their work. Erroneously they thought the addition was correct or if they were aware of the language of the shorter earliest texts of the gospel of Mark they were not satisfied with what they said.

Scholars know that the "son of God" does not appear in all ancient manuscripts.  My critical Greek edition puts that phrase in brackets.
Copiers often made minor miscues.  I know not why.
That Jesus is truly the Son of God is known from many NT verses.

Again, best wishes, Charles

Edward Bode

Catholic dogma, especially as related to Scripture. I have a doctorate in biblical theology [University of St. Thomas, Rome]. I do not answer questions concerning personal moral situations -- ones dealing with right and wrong [sin].

I have taught Catholic thought in grade and high schools, and in college and universities.

Catholic Biblical Association

Catholic Biblical Quarterly, The Bible Today.

Graduate degrees in theology from the Pontifical Gregorian University, in scripture from the Pontifical Biblical Institute, and a doctorate in theology from the Pontifical University of St. Thomas; all in Rome