Catholics/Saint Moses

Hi! I'm a life-long practicing Catholic who just last week purchased a great inspirational CD from my church. The speaker was going over the aspects of the Church Triumphant, Militant and Penitent and mentioned that the former comprised the souls already in Heaven and that ALL such souls are considered saints, even though only a small minority have been officially recognized by the Church.
My question: Can I make a prayer of saintly intercession to Saint Moses? Surely this great Friend of G-d is not still in Purgatory..?

Thanks in advance, Merry Christmas and G-d Bless! -John

Of course you can make a prayer to Saint Moses.  You can pray to Saint Abraham too and any other Old Testament Saint.  In fact the Bible would seem to indicate at the very least that Moses and Elijah are in heaven as the Bible recounts them appearing to Jesus in his transfiguration. The Church  mentions these great people in her worship.

It think the reason the Church does not call Moses "Saint Moses" or Abraham "Saint Abraham" is simply because they are Old Testament figures. When we think of the "saints" we tend to think of New Testament figures or the people in the history of the Church.  However, you can certainly pray to the great Old testament figures, the prophets of old.  

Father Dave Bechtel

I am a Catholic priest in good standing and in active ministry in the Diocese of Scranton PA. I can answer most any question about the Catholic Faith, however my area of specialization is Systematic Theology. Systematic Theology is a branch of theology that focuses on the fundamental tenants of the Faith and the Dogmas of the Faith. I have specialization on the Reformation and Catholic vs. Protestant theology/issues and answering Protestant challenges to the Faith.

I was ordained in June of 2008. Since that time the thrust of my ministry has been specialized. In my first assignment I was an assistant pastor. A year later I was sent to work in education. I spent six (6) years in education and have now assumed my first pastorate. While education was the thrust of my ministry, nevertheless I continued to have a hand in parish ministry, hospital chaplaincy and prison chaplaincy. Now that I am out of education I will obviously be focusing more on parish work than specialized ministry. I have two years of formal Clinical Pastoral Education and prior to ordination I successfully pursued Board Certification for health care ministry through the NACC. My certification needs to be renewed and I plan to seek dual certification in health care ministry (NACC and APC) when I renew my certification. I have a breadth of experience working with Protestant ministers and collaborating with them to achieve the goals of hospital pastoral care and chaplaincy. These ministers run the spectrum from the liberal to the conservative.

Bachelors of Science-- University of Scranton PA Masters of Arts Theology--- Saint Mary's Seminary and University Baltimore MD Masters of Divinity--- Saint Charles Borremeo Seminary Philadelphia PA Board Certified Chaplain (up for renewal)