Catholics/Baptism Godparents

Hello and Good morning. So my fiance and I (soon to be married) are wanting to babtize our baby when he is born (July). She is Catholic and I am Lutheran. Does both godparents need to be Catholic confirmed for our child to be babtised in a Catholic Church? We are a bit confused as to how this works. My brother, who is Lutheran, will be godfather, and my fiance's sister, who is Catholic confirmed, will be godmother. Please enlighten me on this.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Yes, all godparents (only one is required) must be practicing Catholics.  It wouldn't make sense to have a member of a heretic sect be a godparent because the duty of the godparent is to ensure that the child is properly instructed in the true Faith, not an heretical one.

Moreover, you need to be sure that you are having the child validly baptized as a Catholic.  There are many churches around these days that may have the name "Catholic" on the door, but they are not Catholic inside, being affiliated to the New Order sect.  Baptisms in such places are now, in many cases, invalid because Modernistic, invalid forms are being used.

To ensure that you are dealing with a truly Catholic church, see the current Monthly Revised Edition of this year's Official Traditional Catholic Directory, Listing All Traditional Latin Masses and Traditional Resources for North America, published annually since 1994 by the National Registry of Traditional Latin Masses, with monthly update editions.

This 200-page E-book, in the universal and free Adobe Acrobat PDF format, includes the only complete list, by sponsoring organization, of the approximately 700 Traditional Catholic Latin Masses in the pre-Vatican II Roman Rite, regularly and publicly celebrated in North America, as well as contacts for Mass sites outside North America.  It also includes a list of
traditional Catholic periodicals, suppliers, organizations, seminaries, religious orders, lay societies, retreats, schooling, and a necrology of traditional Catholic priests.

For detailed information, click on the Official Traditional Catholic Directory department on the main menu of the TRADITIO Network's home page,

Fr. Michael

A traditional Catholic priest, who provides forthright answers to questions FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF TRADITIONAL CATHOLICISM (not the New Order) on topics pertaining to TRADITIONAL Roman Catholicism, including theology, the Bible, Church history, the Latin language, liturgy (especially the Traditional Latin Mass), and music (especially Gregorian chant), and current events in the Catholic Church.