Catholics/Don't be so sure

Question
QUESTION: Don't be so sure.
"The universe is the most exquisite masterpiece ever constructed by nobody", from G. K. Chesterton, was one of Martin Gardner's favorite quotes. Alas, skeptics claim Chesterton's statement falls through the cracks IF most of the universe is disorderly, or composed of dark-energy-matter. Indeed, by current assessment – and discounting plasma abundance, one may reckon that even rudimentary order is evident in barely 0.00001% of the cosmos. Still in effect, 93% of the universe can’t even be assessed for “order” since it can’t be seen. In the case of dark matter, one can only discern its presence indirectly by the visible effects on neighboring matter. In the case of dark energy, the underlying physical basis isn’t even known – though we know the result is an increase in the acceleration of the universe (arising from a cosmic repulsion attributed to dark energy). Could the universe create itself from nothing? Lawrence M. Krauss,Ph.D., internationally known theoretical physicist, proposes a positive answer in his 2012 book, "A Universe From Nothing". In the following order: Magic, Myth, Religion and Science have supplied us with desired explanations. If we are happy with something we look no further. Thus we are limited by our curiosity and comfort. One's beliefs are determined by emotional factors. Truly reason and the formation of concepts are influenced by our contemporary environment, various wants and needs. Human beings are not totally rational. When I asked my mother if she believed in an afterlife she replied "There has to be something more than this." I thought mom,"We briefly travel forward through time on a spinning planet full of life in an elliptical path around a flaming star. What is the Higgs boson? It boggles my mind." MAGIC is an overwhelming experiential moment of awe-inspiring astonishment from having witnessed something beyond comprehension. Everything science has so far examined has been caused by natural laws. A talented magician uses their skills bound by natural laws to delight and mystify his or her's audience.

ANSWER: Thanks, Charles, for your thoughts and information.
One can always find voices that cover the entire spectrum of the bell-curve.
Our task to separate the wheat from the chaff.  
Concerning recent astrophysics conclusions about the universe having a beginning, I refer you to www.magiscenter.com.
Some trivia background:  When Einstein visited Hubble at Mt. Palomar about 90 years ago, Hubble's research with photos [showing that the distance between galaxies is increasing] convinced Albert to change his mind and accept the evidence to show that the universe had a beginning.
In this century, physicists have analyzed the approximately 20 given constants of our physical universe, to conclude that the possibility of our universe resulting from chance is about 10 to the 10th power to the 123th power.  That possibility has been likened to a tornado going though a junk yard and leaving a supersonic jet.  Another person suggested that writing out all the digits involved in the possibility with regular-size type would more than fill the milky way.
Nothing comes from nothing; so reason shows that some intelligent cause outside/beyond the universe is responsible for the creation of this universe.
Please check the info at the Magis site to fill in the blanks of my response.
As always, Charles, nice to have your input.  Until later.
Again, best wishes.

QUESTION: That is impossible.The Hale telescope is at Palomar. Albert Einstein died 18 April 1955. The Hubble telescope was launched in 1990. Your old argument is wrong. It does not include extinctions or epidemics and, I do not like using these words, freaks and idiots. See the Burgess Shale.  We may find something may come from nothing in the future. If so we are yet to learn more about natural laws that boggle the imagination even further than they do today. Is mathematics the language of the universe?

Answer
It was not the Hubble telescope but Hubble's early research.   The telescope provided the photos in question.
If you check the website that I suggested, you'll find that I was summarizing standard astrophysics.  By the way, it was a Jesuit dissertation that alerted Einstein to the problem that had affected his general theory of relativity and led to Einstein's visit with Hubble.

You might also check Robert Spitzer, New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy.

Best wishes, as always.

Catholics

Edward Bode