Catholics/Original sin

Question
In order for the idea of Original Sin to work it seems that it is necessary to believe in a literal Adam and Eve. I find this very difficult and see Genesis as a story making the important point that creation is good (as opposed to the gnostic idea of matter being evil etc.) How does 'Original Sin' work in an evolutionary setting of many first parents at the same time?

Answer
I have dealt with this question before.  Please see "Were Adam and Eve First" dated January 2, 2015.  It is listed under "Past Answers" section on the site.  

Read my answer and if there is something you feel I missed or didn't answer you can follow up with me.

Secondly:  Since I have answered that question I have also read a good article on how "Polygenism" (theory of evolution that says we evolved from multiple parents) can be reconciled with the Catholic notion of Original Sin.  That article was written by a Catholic professor of philosophy named Professor Edward Fesser.  I have several works by him and I find him to be a brilliant philosopher and fine Catholic--he is very orthodox.  

The article is very complicated which is why I am not going to summarize it for you.  I could not do justice to it.  The article is called "Modern Biology and Original Sin" and his found on his blog.  Simply do a google search on Edward Fesser and the title of the article.  It is dated September 23, 2011.  

Catholics

Father Dave Bechtel