Catholics/Incense

Question
I've gone to a bunch of Masses and Adorations and have noticed that they always (or at least appear to) use the same incense. What is the name of it? As my daughter appears to be allergic, it would be a good thing to know what it's called.

Answer
As incense is derived from the natural sap of wood, there are numerous varieties depending upon the tree, or mixture of trees, from which the sap is taken.  The best incense comes from the Middle East, distilled from the sap of trees growing in that Biblical lands.  Buddhist incense is quite different and does not have the same beautiful complexity of odor as that coming from the Biblical lands.  Each has its own beautiful aroma, what the Psalms call the "odor suavitatis."  The rising smoke aptly symbolizes the prayer of the priest rising to God.

Catholics

Fr. Michael