Catholics/Psychics in bible?

Question
QUESTION: Are there any positive references to psychics in the bible. I have a friend who is reluctant to meet another friend of mine who is psychic because she thinks it's unChristian or something. What is the difference between a psychic and a propet? My psychic friend is Pagan by religion so in that sense it would make sense that Christians may want to repress those of the religion they branched from. Anything positive in the bible about psychics or people who have foresight?

ANSWER: A prophet is someone who speaks the word of God to a certain people in a certain time and place.  They also spell out the consequences of what will happen of the Word of God is not heeded.  Prophets are sometimes referred to as "seers" because they have a great spiritual insight about things.  Sometimes they can predict the future but predicting the future is not essential to what a prophet is.  More important to the work of a prophet is great spiritual insight and speaking the Word of God to a group of people. Prophets do not charge for their services, and often times the message they speak is not what people want to hear.

I am not aware of ANY positive references to psychics, mediums, fortune tellers, diviners, soothsayers, etc. in the Bible.  The Bible forbids these practices in no uncertain terms.  Leviticus 20:27: 27 “A man or a woman who is a medium or a necromancer shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones; their blood shall be upon them.” Deuteronomy 18:10-13: "There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or medium or a necromancer or cone who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you. You shall be blameless before the Lord your God"

Psychics charge for their services and claim to be able to connect to people on some level.  There are authentic psychics who do want to help people and might even be able to form a connection with them. They may have a sensitivity that allows them to connect to people on some level and help them with a problem, etc.  

While psychics might have the best of intentions, the problem is, very simply, that the Bible condemns this practice.  Regardless of a psychics good intentions and regardless of their abilities, the Bible condemns the practice.  That means Christians stay away from those who practice these things.  Our trust should be in God and God alone.

There are many legitimate ways in which Christians can go about seeking help, but consulting a psychic is condemned.  

QUESTION: I find it strange how Christianity has gotten so popular despite being so exclusive and ridgid. lol. I also know another medium who himself is Christian and in the past didn't expect money for his readings but lately since his divorce and medical issues had needed all the extra income he could find. How does one assume that a psychic's predictions or advice isn't directed from or inspired by God? Rarely have I seen a psychic that told me something I wanted to hear. lol.

Answer
Because the Bible condemns it.

I hate to just give a one word answer, and I am not trying to be smart,--but what more can I say?

God's Word the Bible condemns the practice. If we can't trust the Bible what can we trust?

Remember: the devil is extremely crafty and he is the Father of lies and the prince of darkness. The devil is going to appear as an angel of light and he will also try to make the Bible look like a liar.  

With all due respect to this medium no Christian worth their salt would dabble in ANYTHING like that.  The Bible also forbids contact with the dead which is what Mediums do.  I won't speak for your loved ones, but I know my deceased loved ones have better things to do in heaven than allow themselves to be channeled through a medium.

Here is what the Bible says about Mediums:  Leviticus 19:31: “Do not turn to mediums or necromancers; do not seek them out, and so make yourselves unclean by them: I am the Lord your God."

Deuteronomy 18:9-12: "“When you come into the land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominable practices of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you."

I could go on and on with Bible verses. Again: the devil is a liar--and he is going to make what the Bible condemns look attractive and credible.  Don't fall for it.  The devil is such a good liar that even when we know his lies we still believe him!

Stay away from the stuff and if this medium person is a friend of yours I suggest you tell him to find another source of income.  I sympathize with him in needing an income---but following God's Word in the long run is always the better way--even if in the short run it means suffering.  

As for Christianity being exclusive and rigid: Nonsense.  Christianity is open to ALL----who want to put their past sinful ways behind them and live according to the dictates of Christ.  I admit---the practice of real, meaningful and substantial Christianity is difficult because it requires us to change our way of thinking and being and give it all to Christ.  It is not for the faint of heart---but it is open to all.

"Wide is the path that leads to destruction, narrow the path that leads to life."  (Matthew 7:13-14.)  

The reason many see Christianity as "rigid" and "exclusive" is because they want God on THEIR terms. They want a cafeteria: they will take the things they like and leave the rest.  Christianity, nor God work that way.  If people would just open their hearts to the Truth of Christianity, they would find it freeing in much the same way as a musician at first finds the rules of music confining, but when the musician advances they realize following the rules allow them to play more complicated music than they otherwise would.  

Many people simply aren't willing to pay the price to be a disciple of Christ: "Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me." (Matthew 16:24)

Those who want to follow Christ must give all and leave nothing behind.  Christianity is serious business.  As I said--if is open to all--but it isn't for the faint of heart.  Many people simply don't want to pay the price. Luke 14:31-33 31 “Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples."

I feel like a Protestant fundamentalist with all this Bible quoting--and I don't mean to turn you off---but may I recommend that you read the Gospels and meet Jesus before you say "Christianity is exclusive and rigid?"  Read the Gospels and find out what real Christianity is.  

Catholics

Father Dave Bechtel