Catholics/Face to face

How would you feel and what would you say to a teenage pregnant Mary if you met her face to face? Would you believe her miraculous tale of how she became pregnant? What would you say to her statement of who her child was going to be in the future? Would you believe her?

Do you want an honest answer?  

I would probably think she was crazy and recommend her for psychiatric evaluation.  

If the point to your question is to point out that I am being inconsistent--that is---I readily believe the account of the Scriptures, but if the same thing happened to me today I would not believe I beg to differ.

My belief in the miraculous conception of Jesus in the womb of Mary is based on Apostolic testimony that has been preserved in the Scriptures and in the Tradition.  The Scriptures in particular are credible because the Scriptures are Theopneustos (God Breathed.)  In other words I believe in the miraculous conception of Jesus in the womb of Mary because of the credibility of the Scriptures and the Tradition, not to mention the Church that serves as the guardian of the Deposit of Faith.    

My Faith therefore is based not on the testimony of man, but the testimony of God. That is what makes a women in modern times claiming the same thing different from what is recorded in the Bible.  

Father Dave Bechtel

I am a Catholic priest in good standing and in active ministry in the Diocese of Scranton PA. I can answer most any question about the Catholic Faith, however my area of specialization is Systematic Theology. Systematic Theology is a branch of theology that focuses on the fundamental tenants of the Faith and the Dogmas of the Faith. I have specialization on the Reformation and Catholic vs. Protestant theology/issues and answering Protestant challenges to the Faith.

I was ordained in June of 2008. Since that time the thrust of my ministry has been specialized. In my first assignment I was an assistant pastor. A year later I was sent to work in education. I spent six (6) years in education and have now assumed my first pastorate. While education was the thrust of my ministry, nevertheless I continued to have a hand in parish ministry, hospital chaplaincy and prison chaplaincy. Now that I am out of education I will obviously be focusing more on parish work than specialized ministry. I have two years of formal Clinical Pastoral Education and prior to ordination I successfully pursued Board Certification for health care ministry through the NACC. My certification needs to be renewed and I plan to seek dual certification in health care ministry (NACC and APC) when I renew my certification. I have a breadth of experience working with Protestant ministers and collaborating with them to achieve the goals of hospital pastoral care and chaplaincy. These ministers run the spectrum from the liberal to the conservative.

Bachelors of Science-- University of Scranton PA Masters of Arts Theology--- Saint Mary's Seminary and University Baltimore MD Masters of Divinity--- Saint Charles Borremeo Seminary Philadelphia PA Board Certified Chaplain (up for renewal)