Catholics/Confirmation, name, sponsor, etc.

I have been baptized (holy trinity) and was told that I can "fast-track" joining the church (without being required to take RCIA class). I am an adult, have been Christian for several years, although I am moving over from the protestant/Baptist side over to Catholic. I took part of the RCIA class already, will later on take the entire course, after joining the church, but I am curious, what is the process for joining the church if already baptized? What are the steps leading up to confirmation? I understand a confirmation name is selected, do I pick that and how do I select it? Likewise with a "sponsor"... do I pick one or ask someone to do that and how do I know who to ask?

Technically the RCIA process is for the unbaptized.  If one is already validly baptized, the pastor of the Church can tailor a formation program to the needs of the person.

I simply prefer to have everyone go through RCIA baptized or not so they get the benefit of the classes.

The priest you are working with will help you select your sponsor and guide you through the process.  Because you are already baptized and because the priest can tailor the program to your needs, I don't know specifically what your process will be.

Your Confirmation name should be the name of a saint you have a particular affinity towards.  You choose the name after looking up some of the saints and their lives.  Your sponsor must be a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Church, at least 16 years old and Confirmed.  This is because this person will guide you through the process and help you develop spiritually.  Again, the priest will work with you through all of this.  

Father Dave Bechtel

I am a Catholic priest in good standing and in active ministry in the Diocese of Scranton PA. I can answer most any question about the Catholic Faith, however my area of specialization is Systematic Theology. Systematic Theology is a branch of theology that focuses on the fundamental tenants of the Faith and the Dogmas of the Faith. I have specialization on the Reformation and Catholic vs. Protestant theology/issues and answering Protestant challenges to the Faith.

I was ordained in June of 2008. Since that time the thrust of my ministry has been specialized. In my first assignment I was an assistant pastor. A year later I was sent to work in education. I spent six (6) years in education and have now assumed my first pastorate. While education was the thrust of my ministry, nevertheless I continued to have a hand in parish ministry, hospital chaplaincy and prison chaplaincy. Now that I am out of education I will obviously be focusing more on parish work than specialized ministry. I have two years of formal Clinical Pastoral Education and prior to ordination I successfully pursued Board Certification for health care ministry through the NACC. My certification needs to be renewed and I plan to seek dual certification in health care ministry (NACC and APC) when I renew my certification. I have a breadth of experience working with Protestant ministers and collaborating with them to achieve the goals of hospital pastoral care and chaplaincy. These ministers run the spectrum from the liberal to the conservative.

Bachelors of Science-- University of Scranton PA Masters of Arts Theology--- Saint Mary's Seminary and University Baltimore MD Masters of Divinity--- Saint Charles Borremeo Seminary Philadelphia PA Board Certified Chaplain (up for renewal)