Catholics/The Ages of the world.

Question
Hello
As per the Traditional Proclamation of the Birth of Christ, the age of the world is given for that time (about 2000 years ago) as “in the sixth age of the world”. This line of the Traditional Proclamation, I believe has now been removed.  
Can you tell me:
•   What exactly does this mean?
•   How long is an age?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,
W. Airy.

Traditional Proclamation of the Birth of Christ
The twenty-fifth day of December.
In the five thousand one hundred and ninety-ninth year of the creation of the world
from the time when God in the beginning created the heavens and the earth;
the two thousand nine hundred and fifty-seventh year after the flood;
the two thousand and fifteenth year from the birth of Abraham;
the one thousand five hundred and tenth year from Moses
and the going forth of the people of Israel from Egypt;
the one thousand and thirty-second year from David's being anointed king;
in the sixty-fifth week according to the prophecy of Daniel;
in the one hundred and ninety-fourth Olympiad;
the seven hundred and fifty-second year from the foundation of the city of Rome;
the forty second year of the reign of Octavian Augustus;
the whole world being at peace,
in the sixth age of the world,
Jesus Christ the eternal God and Son of the eternal Father,
desiring to sanctify the world by his most merciful coming,
being conceived by the Holy Spirit,
and nine months having passed since his conception,
was born in Bethlehem of Judea of the Virgin Mary,
being made flesh.
The Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ according to the flesh.

Answer
Saint Augustine divided biblical history into six ages.  In those days based upon the times given in the bible, these ages were each about 1000 years.  Augustine did not believe the Universe was created 6000 years ago, but based upon the evidence he had, the human race began about then.  

The Six Ages, as formulated by Saint Augustine,
The First Age "is from the beginning of the human race, that is, from Adam, who was the first man that was made, down to Noah, who constructed the ark at the time of the flood," i.e. the Antediluvian period.
The Second Age "extends from that period on to Abraham, who was called the father indeed of all nations.."
The Third Age "extends from Abraham on to David the king."
The Fourth Age is "from David on to that captivity whereby the people of God passed over into Babylonia."
The Fifth Age is "from that transmigration down to the advent of our Lord Jesus Christ."
The Sixth Age: "With His [Jesus Christ's] coming the sixth age has entered on its process."

Hope this helps.  

Catholics

Donald Higby