Catholics/breath

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
My question revolves around God breathing life into us, as stated in Genesis 2:7.  My interest is the origin of the life in the breath.  As I read and understand it, as is the nature of breathing, God's breath originated from within him somehow,  and when he breathed into us, the breath carried in it the life we now possess. If I am understanding this correctly, can we say that we all somehow possess life that once existed within God?  I'm not asking for an explanation of how God did this, or how God made our life, but rather I am interested in knowledge about the original location of our life before we got it.
Thank you,
Kirk

ANSWER: Dear Kirk,

the verses you quoted have a deep symbolic meaning; God is the only source of the true life, and we can live a true life, a true love and a true happines only when we are in communion with the Lord, the Author of life. Christ said: "I am the way and the truth and the life." (John 14:6)
I am a physicist and I know that our scientific knowleges confirm tha our psichical life cannot be a direct product of cerebral activity, because matter cannot generate consciuosness.
So the verse about God breathing life  into us may refer to the creation of our soul, the origin of our psychical life.

You can find a scientific discussion about the existence of our soul  in the following site

http://xoomer.alice.it/fedeescienza/englishnf.html

where  I analyse the incongruencies of the materialistic conception of the mind, on the basis of our present scientific knowledges about brain and matter.
This analysis points out how the laws of physics  prove that the   brain cannot generate consciousness, which existence implies  the presence in man of a unbiological/unmaterial element. The problem of consciousness is then strictly connected to the one of the existence of the soul and, consequently, the existence of God.
In the first article entitled “Mind and brain...” you can find a general discussion of the mind and brain problem from a scientific point of view.
In the second article entitled “Scientific contraddictions in materialism”
you  can find an explanation of the fundamental inconsistencies of  the  typical arguments used by materialists, such as the concept of emergent, macroscopic or holist property, complexity, information, etc.
In the section called “FAQ: answers to  visitors' questions” you can find the answer to many typical questions, such as "Are there any scientifically proved miracles?", "Does the existence of the universe imply the existence of God?", "Can science explain God?", "Can science establish which is the true religion?", "Can science explain consciousness in the future?", and many others.

I think that faith cannot come only from logic, because to have faith in God means to trust and love God.
I think however that logics and science prove the existence of our soul and the existence of  God and that there are many rational arguments strongly supporting the christian faith.
Basically, science has proved that the state of the universe is determined by some specific mathematical equations, the laws of physics; the universe cannot exist independently from such equations, which determine the events and the properties of such events.
However we know that a mathematical equation cannot exist by itself, but it exists only as a thought in a conscious and intelligent mind. In fact, a mathematical equation is only an abstract concept, which existence presupposes the existence of a person conceiving such a concept.  
So the question is: how can matter follow mathematical rules? Has ever matter studied maths?
I think that the only possible answer to these questions is that the existence of this mathematically structured universe does imply the existence of an intelligent God; this universe cannot exist by itself, but it can exist only if there is a conscious and inteligent God conceiving  it according to some specific mathematical equations.
Since the universe cannot exists by itself, but only because God conceive it, God certainly knows everything in every instant. God knows everything becuase eberything is under His control and everything exists only because of Him.

I hope this may help,

please let me know if you  need any clarifications,

Your brother in Christ,

Marco

QUESTION: Marco,

Now that is a detailed answer!  You've brought up some perspectives I've not considered previously, and I thank you.   
You state that God is the only source of true life, however, I'm still interested, for the sake of my research regarding the origin of 'the breath', a base answer to the question, "Can we say that we all somehow possess an essence that once existed within God?"  My thesis is that the breath contained an essence from within God and I'm looking to discover contemporary belief from the field, so to speak.  Was the life we posses once within God?
Thank you again,

Kirk

Answer
Dear Kirk,

when we are in communion with the Lord, the Holy Spirit lives in us; this means that God lives in us. The breath is a symbolic figure for the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God. It is the Holy Spirit who makes good sentiments (such as briotherly love) arise in us. I do not think however that it is corret to say that "the life we posses once was within God". In fact when God created us, He cretaed something new, and therefore, also our life is something new, even if, without the presence in us of the Holy Spirit, our life would be an empty and meaningless existence. Let me give you an example to clarify my meaning. When we repent for something wrong we have done, we are living an experience which didn't exist in God, because God has never done anythig wrong. Anyway it is the Holy Spirit who leads us to repent. So, our life is not something existing in God only, but it is the result of the communion of two persons (God and us).

Your question is certainly a very important and difficult question, because it concerns very deep theological matters.

I hope my answer may help you,

Your brother in Christ,

Marco

Catholics

Marco