Cats/Cat climbing curtains

I recently hung some new curtains in my bedroom and my two cats - Calypso (1.5 yrs) and Circe (9 months) - insist on climbing on them.  Do you have any advice on how to deter this behavior?  I've read about spraying cats with water when they climb, using lemon spray on the curtains, and hanging tin-foil or sticky tape.  Are any of these better options than the other?  What else can I do?

you won;t deter the cats from climbing by spraying them they just don't learn that way. the best option is to make the curtains unpleasant to them and so they want to keep away. I would use the lemon spray as they don't like the strong citrus smell.

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.