Cats/Cats and Babies!!

Question
Hello, I am Tanya. I have a question about cats with babies. I am currently expecting another baby, I also have a 4 1/2 year old. And I have heard different things about cats with babies. I have 2 cats. One's 2 years old and one's about 8 months old. Is it safe to have the cats anywhere near the baby? I have heard that the cats can kill the baby by suffocating it or getting too close and sucking the breath out of the baby. But I heard that they were all myths. And I don't want to get rid of the cats since we had them before I got pregnant. There my babies. I love my cats! Do you have any ideas of what I should do? Will the baby be safe with the cats? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to hearing from you soon! Thanks in advance!!

~Tanya~

Answer
Hi
yes this is all myth. The only thing i would say is that when the baby is very young don't leave the cat alone in the room with it, as the cat will be curious and may want to snuggle down in the warmth next to your baby, this may not be very hygienic at this time.
Of course make sure that you continue to lavish a lot of attention on your kitties too as they may feel left out, but i have never heard of a cat being malicious towards a baby, in fact i have heard the complete opposite of cats being overly affectionate towards them.
Don't worry and enjoy your new baby and your cats too.

Kate
/cat-social-behavior.html

Cats

Kate Tilmouth